Thinking About Getting A Tattoo? Here’s What You Should Know!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at York U chapter.

Hello! I hope you all enjoyed your much deserved reading week.I know that this was just the small break I needed in between all of the craziness. Now, you probably know exactly where this article is going just based on the title alone, and I’m so happy you’re here to learn a little more! Now, to give you a little insight on why I can be trusted to give such advice; I have 9 tattoos. I got my first one when I was 16, and I also plan on getting many more — as long as my wallet allows me. So, without further ado, let’s get into it! 

Getting a tattoo is a very permanent decision, so there’s a few things you probably want to do before you even decide to get one! Whether or not you’ve decided on what you want to get, I will always say to first sit with it for a bit so you’re 100% sure you want it on your body forever. Sure, there’s always tattoo removal, but that’s lengthy and expensive, so it’s better to be sure before anything else. One thing I do before I decide to get a tattoo is set the design as my wallpaper screen on my iPhone. This way I’m forced to look at it every time I open my phone. If I’m sick of it after a week, I know that I probably don’t want to get it tattooed. 

Another way you can ‘test’ if you like the look or placement of your tattoo is by using the sticker tool on Snapchat to place the tattoo on your body. This gives a sense of what it will look like on the place where you may want to get it. 

Once you make the decision to get your tattoo, do some good research about what place you would like to get it done. Some artists do specific styles and specialize in different types of work such as large shaded pieces or dainty fine-line pieces. All in all, you want to feel confident and comfortable with the person who will be doing your tattoo. 

Fast forward to the day of your tattoo. Make sure you eat a proper meal beforehand. If you don’t eat and hydrate properly, you run the risk of feeling dizzy or passing out. Once you’re in the hands of your tattoo artist, you should always follow their instructions and just relax while you get your tattoo! Sometimes the artist will make conversation, or you can request for a silent session where you can just relax and listen to music; whatever your preference is! 

Once you get your tattoo you should always follow whatever healing process your artist gives you. Some artists have slightly different instructions from each other and a general google search might also give you different instructions from your artist. Follow the instructions, and you will have a beautiful new tattoo! 

I hope you all enjoyed today’s article. If you’re thinking about getting a tattoo, I hope I gave you a little bit of insight on the process!

Hi, Im Jaden! I am a Bachelor of Science Psychology major at York University. I love to read, write, workout and crochet.