This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at York U chapter.

Most of us have been there—or will be there—crying internally as we look at our required courses and desired electives and realizing we have been cursed with dreaded early morning classes. I am a morning person, I swear. But morning classes? They are some fresh kind of hell that even after years of my mother getting us up early to do schoolwork, still seem unbearable. Because I live so far from school, and there is no easy way to get to York, if I or my sister have an 8:30 AM class, we need to wake up at 5:30.

Of course, there are always some who do not mind 8:30 AM classes, some who may even enjoy them! I salute you; you are gods and goddesses who deserve all our worship and admiration (maybe we can name a building after you!). But for the students who struggle with either getting up on time, staying awake during class, or even finding the motivation to attend class, this one’s for you. Here’s the Hot Mess’ Guide to Morning Classes.

1. Know Your Waking Habits

Okay, this is a really important one. Are you the type to press “snooze” multiple times on your alarms? Do you wake up and shuffle off to the bathroom, only to fall asleep while washing your face? Personally, I do both of these things, especially on Thursdays, when getting out the door is most vital because my first class is at 8:30. I’ve fallen asleep everywhere, from the bathroom counter to the hallway floor, and pressed “snooze’ more times than I can count. My tips? Set multiple alarms, allow yourself the buffer time to press snooze a few times, accidentally fall asleep again, and if you’re commuting, for the traffic that is likely awaiting you.

2. Know What Gives You Energy

Whether it’s a short burst of energy from caffeine, or a longer lasting energy from protein or exercise, find what gives you energy and motivates you, and staying awake during those classes won’t seem so difficult. For me, I find that water is the best way to stay awake, but for others it may be tea, coffee, or Red Bull. The point is, there is no one size fits all solution to this problem—if you’re like me and caffeine has no effect on you, you may need to get more creative with your morning routine and find different ways of pushing through.

3. Know and Understand the Importance of Your Class

Alright, this is where I become your certified Mom Friend ™ and tell you why it’s so important you make it out to those classes. If you are enrolled in a course, it’s likely because it is either required, or it’s an elective you were interested in, or just happened to fit you’re your schedule. If it’s required, it’s far better to get it over with, rather than risk a delayed graduation because you did not attend, or take the course. If you chose it as an elective you hoped would be enjoyable, please give it a shot! Maybe it’s not what you were hoping it would be, but there are so many new perspectives and skills you can learn from courses outside your major, it would be a shame to ultimately not go.

Remember, nobody is perfect. If you get to class late, it’s okay. One particular class I’ve been late to a few times in a row, but the most important thing was I eventually made it to class. Sure, it’s embarrassing to walk into class late, something that never changes whether the class is large or tiny, but if you make it to class that itself is a feat and I congratulate you. Best of luck, Yorkies!

Image Source(s): http://introvertspring.com/else-wants-hide-blanket-day/ 

Hey! I'm Stephanie Wilcox, and I am a professional writing major here at York U! I spend most of my time playing piano or ukulele and crying over books and boybands. I'm currently studying Korean as an elective, and I hope to do plenty of travelling after I graduate. I believe in fighting for a better, safer, and more equal future, especially through words and writing. This is my third year at York University, and I am thrilled to begin writing with Her Campus this year as a CC and seeing the impact we will be making here!