Stop reading articles about twentysomethings

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at York U chapter.

Twentysomethings, stop reading articles about twentysomethings. Except this article; let this article be the last one you read. Stop reading magazine, newspaper and online articles about millennials, Generation X, or whatever name they come up for us next. As a twentysomething scrolling down my social media feeds, I’ve had enough—and I turn twenty-two in a couple of months!

What is it about us twentysomethings? In about ten years, 75% of the North American workforce will be comprised of multicultural and self-motivated twentysomethings NOTE. We are educated and aspiring entrepreneurs, yet despite our potential and power to influence the world, we are sometimes influenced by endless pages on the World Wide Web. On Thought Catalog alone, there are 59 pages (and counting) of articles that have the tag, “20-something.” Google gives “twentysomething” 1, 640 000 results consisting of lists, blog posts and advice columns on dating, health, friendship, career choices and financial advice. We are left to sift through hundreds of articles that tell us what we should know, what we are feeling and where we are versus where we should be at. But you know what? We don’t need them.

Why are we tagged as the target audience? We are the generation of people between the ages of 20 to 29 who were raised during a technological revolution, and are now experiencing a time of self-exploration and self-growth. We are falling in love, falling out with friends and falling further into debt. We are also emerging as adults in a world that expects our experimentation to be behind us in our adolescent years. But it’s really just beginning. Experimentation occurs through one’s own experience, not reading lists and articles about other people’s experiences. Yes, there are financial advisors, psychologists and relationship experts who have studied and written valuable columns about and for twentysomethings. But at the end of the day would you rather read about how you should be managing your money or actually talk to someone who knows your financial situation and can tell you how to manage it accordingly? And sure, “10 Things Every Woman In Her 20’s Should Remember,” and, “Why Twentysomethings Should Start Saving Now,” might be beneficial, but you should keep in mind there isn’t a specific Google result or  Yahoo Answer for everything you will encounter during your twenties. Life isn’t like the movies…or books…or articles written by bloggers and aspiring journalists. Reading articles called, “5 Mistakes I’m Glad I Made in My Twenties,” and, “11 Things No One Tells You About Work In Your Twenties,” won’t prepare you for the real world that you will find yourself thrust into as a twentysomething.

Sure, we are collectively going through similar situations, but a ten point list does not even begin to cover the things we are feeling and experiencing individually. Our twenties will be subjected to a crisis of every kind; a wardrobe crisis on the day of an important job interview, an identity crisis when we go travelling abroad, a love life crisis when we suspect our best friend and girlfriend have hooked up repeatedly.  It’s okay to be apprehensive, anxious, overwhelmed, conflicted, and utterly terrified of the increasing choices and decisions ahead of you. But while we may feel isolated during times of crisis in our twenties, we are anything but.

Twentysomethings, stop reading articles about twentysomethings. You may turn to glossy magazines and Google searches when you feel lost and lonely but you are wasting your time. If you want your sex questions answered or want to weigh the pros and cons of moving out on your own, don’t seek advice in articles. Don’t turn the pages of a newspaper, but rather turn to the experts that can be found in your life. If you want expert career advice, seek out mentors. Mentors can be found in professors, former teachers, older family members, family friends, coworkers and colleagues. Reach out to professionals and people in the industry you are interested in through social media, email and in-person meetings.

Parents are experts too. Your parents are one of those, “Friends You’ll Find Yourself Surrounded By in Your Mid-Twenties.” Our parents have their own fair-share of fun and failures from their twenties, but for us the Boomerang Generation, they can offer more than just financial support. They offer instant feedback and honest opinions. Our parents are our like ultimate sports fans, they unconditionally love and support us even when we’re in a seven month unemployed slump. That’s not to say they won’t be on you 24/7 about getting out of the slump, but nagging—I mean motivation, only encourages momentum. What I am calling for is the opportunity to build meaningful relationships by using the building blocks you already have around you.

Gilda Radner says, “Life is about not knowing, having to change, taking the moment and making the best of it, without knowing what’s going to happen next. Delicious Ambiguity.” Twentysomethings, stop reading articles about twentysomethings. Let’s take our twenties and make the best of it. Stop worrying about whether you know 23 Things You Should Know by 23 and don’t stress if you don’t know what is next. Listen to your head, your heart and the valuable people around you who want to listen to you and help you get it right. And when you don’t get it right, it’s OK. Just remember you have 80 million fellow twentysomethings who are just trying to get it right too.

Sources:

Barrett, Kara Nichols. Gen Y Women in the Workplace Focus Group Summary Report. Business and Professional Women’s Foundation (BPW), April 2011. Pg. 1. <http://bpwfoundation.org/documents/uploads/YC_SummaryReport_Final.pdf> Web. 01 July 2014.

Schawbel, Dan. “Leadership Lab: Five things employers must know about millennials.” 2014 The Globe and Mail Inc, Phillip Crawley. 05 Dec. 2013. <http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/careers/leadership-lab/five-things-employers-must-know-about-millennials/article15793832/>

http://41.media.tumblr.com/c75601e13327f0fb6bb7b5fe98f0a52a/tumblr_nuijh27iaW1stncygo2_1280.jpg