This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at York U chapter.

Content warning: mention of rape

It’s official, the days are getting shorter and the weather is gradually getting colder; fall is finally here! With this particular season comes the daunting task of becoming hyper aware of your relationship status and finding a partner to enjoy the holidays with. This is more popularly known as “cuffing season.” During this time between fall and winter, people who are not in a romantic relationship are more likely to want to be in a relationship rather than engage in casual affairs. If you’re not one of these people who are seeking a relationship and are comfortable with your relationship status, now is the time to fully immerse yourself in a show that’s going to completely take your mind off all of the lovey-dovey couples. These totally binge-worthy series with strong female leads are able to take your mind off of the couples and kill huge chunks of time.

*Plot summaries are written in my own words but specific details are taken from IMDB and Wikipedia*

Jane The Virgin

Jane Villanueva grew up surrounded by women. Her mother, Xiomara, who had Jane as a teenager, always believed in living life to the fullest, which includes having sex. Her grandmother, Alba, is a devout Catholic and instilled in Jane the love of God and the respect of her precious “flower.” Jane is determined to live a life that will make her family proud. At 23, her life is seemingly perfect; she’s studying to become a teacher and is engaged to a handsome detective who fully supports her beliefs to stay a virgin until marriage. While at a routine visit to the clinic, Jane is accidentally inseminated by a specimen meant for the patient next door. After learning her unplanned sperm donor is her boss, Rafael, Jane must decide how to rearrange her life. With new relationship opportunities, work opportunities and a baby on the way, Jane must face a lot of complicated decisions with the love and support of her family.
You can stream Jane The Virgin on Netflix!

Younger

Trying to start a new career is challenging, but when Liza Miller is trying to start a new career, she realizes that she’s going to have an even harder time considering the fact that she’s a 40-year-old single mom trying to make it in the publishing industry. After being convinced that she looks much younger than she actually is by 26-year-old tattoo artist Josh, she decides to use it to her advantage. With the help of a makeover courtesy of her best friend Maggie, Liza tries to pass herself off as being 26. This newfound confidence lands Liza a job as an assistant to the temperamental head of marketing at the publishing firm Empirical Press, Diana. Teaming up with her 20-something co-worker Kelsey, Liza hopes to make it in her dream career while keeping this huge secret.
You can find Younger on TV Land!

The Mindy Project

Mindy Lahiri is a talented obstetrician with a chaotic personal life. Obsessed with romantic comedies, she struggles to find the perfect relationship while remaining focused at work and staying up to date with the latest reality TV gossip. Mindy shares her practice with three other doctors who all make her already messy life a little more complicated.
You can find The Mindy Project on Netflix!

Good Girls

Beth, Annie and Ruby are three suburban moms who have become fed up with constantly playing by the rules and not getting the respect that they deserve. Beth is the perfect wife and mother, but her cheating and scheming husband has put their family into financial ruin. Annie is a single mom, caught up in a nasty custody battle over her daughter with her ex. Ruby is happily married to a policeman but struggles to afford the medical bills and experimental drugs for their sick daughter. They band together to take control over their lives — by robbing their local grocery store. All in desperate need for money, the women plan the heist in the hopes of getting rid of their financial troubles but, being new to the crime game, they are pulled in deeper than they ever planned and the only way out is to work together.
You can binge Good Girls on Netflix!

Unbelievable

Unbelievable is a dramatization of the 2008–2011 Washington and Colorado serial rape cases. The series follows Marie, who is charged with lying about being sexually assaulted. Two female detectives investigate a spate of eerily similar attacks to uncover the truth.
You can find Unbelievable on Netflix!

Sex and the City

Sex columnist Carrie Bradshaw and her three friends — Samantha, Charlotte and Miranda — explore Manhattan’s dating scene. The women gossip about their sex lives (which are sometimes non-existent) and find new and exciting ways to deal with being a bold woman in the 1990s.
You can find Sex and the City on Hulu!

All of these shows involve strong, badass women that are relatable and inspirational. I hope you enjoy my recommendations and have a great time binging!

Alexa is a fourth-year undergraduate student at York University, majoring in Communication Studies. She is an avid reader of the latest contemporary romance novels and is currently working on a book of her own. After her degree, she hopes to work in PR and move to London, England.
Kaitlin is a bilingual (French and English) writer originating from friendly Thunder Bay. They are in their seventh year at York University, where they study professional writing with an emphasis on journalism. They live with their partner of nine years and their cat, Tessa. They started writing with a passion and a poem that eventually won third in a contest 12 years ago, and started editing not too long after. When not at the keyboard, Kaitlin can be found reading, cooking, playing video games, or holding Tessa. Their favorite movies are scary and their favorite television genre is reality. Kaitlin's passions include copyediting, anything scary or spooky and adding to her collection of dolls, magnets and cups. Their favorite part of writing/editing is giving others a chance to share their story or achieve their dreams and offering insight on "the little things." Some of Kaitlin's favorite topics reflect on their personal life, including health/disabilities, fringe topics and social issues.