Sad Truth: Judgemental World

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at York U chapter.

When we were in elementary school, we used to compare who had the prettier hairclip or who had the cooler backpack. But now, as we have gotten older, the world is about judgements. You’ll see girls judging each other based on their looks, but in reality, they don’t even personally know each other. These judgements don’t only apply to girls – the same goes for guys as well.

Just recently, I ran into a girl at a restaurant. She was with her girlfriends sitting at the table behind mine. Throughout the whole dinner, I realized she was showing her friends instagram accounts of girls. None of the comments that I was hearing were positive; “Oh my god, why did she even post this? Her legs are so short,” “Ugh, I hate her eyes, they’re not proportionate,” “She definitely got surgery done.”

As I sat there and wandered to myself, what has the world become? Why do we have to judge people so much? Does it boost your self-esteem to criticize someone else?

There are numerous reasons to why we judge people, but I believe the two main reasons are:

1.     You think you’re better than everyone else so you judge others to further boost your ego.

2.     Deep down you envy the person you judge so you criticize them to make yourself feel better.

My conclusion is that judging others doesn’t make you happier, and it doesn’t make you a better person either – then why waste the time putting thoughts on how to criticize others? I believe, unless you personally know someone, you really don’t have the right to judge him or her just based on their appearance – that’s like judging a book by its cover. We’re not objects, we’re humans and humans have personalities and feelings. Don’t jump into the conclusion that you don’t or you won’t like the person just because of how they look or what you heard from someone else – because at the end of the day you’re the one losing. What if the person you already placed a label on actually turns out to be the most genuine? You might have missed your chance. The likelihood of the person you’re judging caring about your opinions is slim anyway because they don’t even know you – then why even waste the time on such a negative thing?

Lets all accept people for who they are and stop making unnecessary judgements. 

Image Sources:

http://quotesgram.com/inspirational-quotes-about-judging-others/