Movies to Look Out for in the Upcoming Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at York U chapter.

2015 was a great year for film that has gracefully come to an end with Star Wars VII: The Force Awakens, which broke many records. 2016 has many great films set up that will surely make you spend more time at the theaters than studying!

5. Deadpool.

This anti-hero blockbuster has been hyped since the trailer was premiered at the iconic San Diego Comic-Con. It will be a nice satire to the ridiculous amount of superhero films that have been released these past few years but still be considered as one of those ridiculous superhero films.

4. Suicide Squad.

This DC feature has been teasing everyone ever since early 2015 when rumours started popping up. With the twist of many classic villains joining forces on a mission together and no superheroes in sight, this will bring an innovative change to the typical DC or Marvel films. Did I forget to mention that it was also filmed in Toronto? Just another reason to watch it!

3. The Jungle Book.

This live action reboot has got every Disney fan by the toes. Seeing Mowgli and his jungle companions frolic the jungle has definitely got me very excited! I am beyond thrilled to hear Baloo sing the “Bear Necessities” and seeing the monkey civilization dance and sing! The best part about this film is that it comes out on my birthday, April 15!

2. Fantastic Beats and Where To Find Them.

The mysteries of the world of Harry Potter is not over! With so many Buzzfeed articles being Harry Potter related, it’s just right to release it now! It has been 5 years since Harry Potter and The Deathly Hallows: Part 2 but the love for the HP is just as strong. The film revolves around Newt Scamander’s textbook by the same title but instead contains a story in itself!

Rest in peace Alan Rickman.

1. Finding Dory.

As a 2000’s kid, there was an influx of many great animated films like Finding Nemo that had really pushed Pixar to the conglomerate title that it is today. We all fell in love with the blue tang fish, Dory, as she accompanied Marlin on his quest to find his son. Her air-headed personality mixed with her compassionate nature is the reason why I always wanted a movie about her, and the Pixar writers answered my prayers. Ellen DeGeneres is an incredibly hilarious actress and with that in mind, I’m ecstatic to hear her as Dory once again.