Career

Intimacy Coordination: Consent, Safety and Comfort on Set

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at York U chapter.

It’s no secret that there are many sectors in the workforce that are male-dominated and the film industry is a prime example. Grips, cinematographers, directors — almost all of the job positions are filled by a majority of males. One exception however, is the role known as “intimacy coordinator”. 

Intimacy coordination is a relatively new notion on set that came about after the height of the #MeToo movement in 2017 when an appalling number of stories of sexual harassment and assault were shared. A large number of these stories shed light on what has happened behind closed doors in the film industry with people (mainly women) being powerless against Hollywood titans — or filmmakers in any position of power (mainly male) — abusing their stature and leverage. 

A hierarchy inherently exists on set which can lead to people feeling uncomfortable speaking up when even the smallest abuses happen. There was a critical need for change and the #MeToo movement was the catalyst that brought one.

On a film set, theater set or even a photography shoot, an intimacy coordinator, known also as an IC (or intimacy director in theater), acts as an advocate for the performers when they are in vulnerable situations. More than just ensuring that a power dynamic isn’t abused between the actors and the “above-the-lines”, intimacy coordinators ascertain that everything is 100% consensual and comfortable for all parties involved, who they are involved with, and the direction they are given — particularly for those who are in vulnerable situations. 

Even if a sexual power dynamic exists in a script, it shouldn’t on set. They work across all departments involved in a scene to ensure that everyone — actors especially — are completely comfortable with what they are being asked to do. 

In addition to opening up safe communication, they are also a movement coach and safety liaison for scenes that depict nudity or simulated sex. They prepare actors physically and emotionally for not only romantic scenes, but scenes that involve rape, sexual assault or other intimate harassment. Usually there is only one IC on set, but for more complex scenes there may be assistants for additional support, or another IC if they need to consult or get a second opinion.

Within the few short years since the position was created, it has gained momentum both on set and in the public eye. CBC, The New York Times, BBC, Hollywood Reporter, CNN and Maclean’s Magazine, among others, have reported on the position and it is no longer uncommon to see the role on a call sheet. The role continues to expand not only within the domestic industry in North America, but globally as well. 

Like any position in the film industry, there is no set way of becoming an intimacy coordinator and as of now, anyone can work as and call themselves an intimacy coordinator. However, there are certain credible organizations that train and license ICs. The highly selective program takes up to two years to complete and accepts only applicants with prior experience of at least five years in any position in the industry. 

Intimacy Coordinators Canada is the leading collective of intimacy coordinators in Canada, and both ICC and intimacy directors and coordinators out of the States are officially union accredited. 

Though late to the game, intimacy coordination is an important role and is being seen more and more commonly on set on all levels. Both in Canada and the U.S., unionized practices have been amended to include intimacy coordination guidelines and certain companies such as Netflix and HBO have made it a mandatory role on set when a script calls for on-camera intimacy. However, it is still only a company policy so not all sets have them when they should, and not all sets are happy to have them when they do.

Overall, it is a generally accepted role because the need for protection was and is seen. ICs give people in the industry who traditionally lack a voice a place to emerge with great triumph. It exists to eradicate the unseen, unheard, and brushed-over incidents of assault and harassment, and to eliminate the leniency for it. Unfortunately, harassment still exists, but thankfully – in part due to intimacy coordination – there is an increasingly low (or no) tolerance for it within the work environment on film sets. 

Intimacy coordination is not only for the benefit of actors, but for everyone. With it, there is a hope that all emerging filmmakers will never have to encounter harassment on set and experienced filmmakers will never have to encounter it again. It is not simply a role, but a movement within a well-established industry. As the movement continues, so does the safety and wellbeing of everyone in the industry because finally everyone will have a voice.

Roxanne Hahn

York U '25

Roxanne is a writer for the York University chapter of HerCampus Magazine, where she covers a wide gamut of article topics. Originally from rural Alberta, Roxanne studied Film & Video Production at the Southern Alberta Institute of Technology in Calgary, prior to packing up her life for the big city of Toronto. Currently, she is a third year BFA Screenwriting major at York University, and has many creative passions, including photography, music, and (of course) writing. She looks forward to continuing her work with the talented, intelligent, and empowering HerCampus team in the 2023/24 year.