This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at York U chapter.

Everything in your life is smooth and exactly how you planned it; things seem decent and you feel inner peace and happiness on a day to day basis.

However, your thoughts keep you up at night and your feelings are bottled up inside and you can’t find a way to escape. You’re constantly fighting inside and every night is restless, you feel empty and it may be all you may have experienced. 

Some days you find yourself doing good and looking forward to things but the next minute you have lost hope and motivation. 

As individuals we all face hurdles, and this impacts our mental health and how we react and see everyday life. At times we decide not to speak our feelings and every day we are working on our peace and tranquility. 

Mental health comes in many forms and everyone has different coping mechanisms. It is the overall wellness of how you think, behave and adapt to your feelings which can be social, emotional or psychological. 

Mental health also helps determine how we are able to handle the stress we are faced with and the choices we can make good or bad with being disturbed and not in a good state of mind. On the other hand, with good mental health it doesn’t mean we don’t stress; it just means we are able to continue our everyday lives productively. 

Mental health can change the way you think and this may affect maintaining personal and family relationships, work/school, social settings, and daily activities. 

If you’re concerned about your mental health, you should seek professional help if you feel excessive anger, anxiety, substance misuse, extreme mood swings, unusual thinking, and having difficulty coping with problems. This can mean your health may be more serious and may be considered a mental illness. It is important to reach out and be there for yourself.

Always remember you are loved, needed, and you make a difference. Sometimes we experience things in life and our days are not chocolates and roses but always remember patience is key and every bad day comes to an end. 

Saying your daily affirmations and telling yourself every morning all you are capable of will help you see the positive side of things as well as taking it slow and easy on yourself and participating in activities you enjoy will bring you peace. 

Some ways you can help your mental health is by staying active and working on your body. When you release endorphins, this helps mental health because endorphins are produced in your brain and help release pain, reduce stress, and put you in a good mood. 

Make sure you are eating healthy, having enough sleep, tracking your gratitudes/ achievements, learning new skills, paying attention to the present moment and connecting with people. All of these useful tips can improve your mood and help yourself in being more optimistic. 

Mental health can be very hard to cope with and it is helpful when you are patient and let every storm pass and not bottle your feelings. As individuals we all are at different phases in our lives and at the end of the day only we can help ourselves from within and be the first to make a step. Life will have good days and bad and a very helpful quote is “The way I see it, if you want the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain” (Dolly Parton). 

Being able to take care of your mental health is difficult but as we grow and learn we are being the best we can be and help our mind, body, and soul. 

Being able to understand after a dark tunnel the sun will shine through but it is up to us to step out of our comfort zones and raise awareness on this issue and be patient with ourselves. 

As you wake up tomorrow tell yourself what you are grateful for, close your eyes and feel the sun hitting your body and calm your aura. You are more than enough, and you have every power, will you be able to help yourself and thrive?

Ommum Hassan

York U '25

Hello, my name is Ommum Hassan and I am a returning member and am a writer for Her Campus. I spread awareness about many topics and spread as much knowledge as I can. Besides Her Campus I am active member of the community and work at a hospital. I work two jobs and am part of many extracurricular activities around school. The unique qualifications I pertain are FPLT and a first aid CPR certificate. I am currently affiliated with York University doing a double major in Health science and Kinesiology. I also work closely with my faculty and take part in research. In free time, I enjoy reading, working out, and recently started cooking. I enjoy my free time watching Netflix and spending quality time with my family.