free to use sounds kOuCX7fh50U unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
free to use sounds kOuCX7fh50U unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Her Campus Profile: Mojan Fakhri

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at York U chapter.

Mojan is one of our newest writers at Her Campus YorkU. It was my pleasure to interview and get to know her. Read on to find out about what inspired Mojan to start writing and what’s on her summer bucket list!

Name: Mojan Fakhri

Program: Psychology

Age: 18

Born: Tehran, Iran  

Let’s start off with four interesting facts that many people don’t know about you. Tell us about yourself!

1. The being I care most about in this world is my 9-year-old dog Alex.

2. I have lived all around the world: I moved from Iran — which is my home country — to Romania, where I lived in for six years. I also lived in Turkey for three years and now I’m here in Canada. This makes it hard for me to tell people where home is for me.

3. I have big dreams; other than opening up my own psychology clinic, I wish to publish at least one book, perform in theater and be able to make contributions to charities eventually throughout my lifetime.

4. For some reason, I have an obsession with Brazilian culture; I have never been to Brazil yet I love their music, their traditions and their language, not to mention their coffee. I wish to live there someday.

What do you like to do in your free time?

I love to discover new music and add them to my various carefully categorized playlists, read books and watch old and mind-boggling movies in my free time. Sometimes I also like to write depending on my mood.

What are your top four destinations that you want to travel to?

My favorite country that I have wanted to travel to ever since I first saw the movie “Rio” has been Brazil. Other than that, the top destinations I would love to visit are England, France and Cuba.

Those are really great destinations, and France is on the top of my list too! If you could be an animal, which one would you be and why?

Without a doubt, if I could be any animal, I would want to be a dolphin; I can’t think of anything I would love to do more than being in the water. The thing about dolphins is that they always seem very cute, cheerful and playful (which they are of course) but they have an aggressive side too, something most people don’t know about them. I like to think that represents me in a lot of ways. Also, they are highly intelligent mammals that travel in big groups. They’ve got brains, beauty and friends, I don’t see why anyone would pass up an opportunity to be a dolphin if they could be any animal.

What’s your favorite place in Toronto?

I’ve just moved here so there aren’t many places I know but I must admit, the first time I went to Younge-Dundas Square, I got goosebumps. Walking around downtown for the first time in Toronto was a really exciting and ecstatic experience for me, maybe because it reminded me a little of New York.

Yes! Younge-Dundas Square is the heart of our downtown for a reason and I hope you’re liking Toronto so far. So, what made you get into writing?

I don’t have the most trusting or open personality when it comes to really intimate details about myself, so writing for me became the one and only way I found that had the power to make me feel better about whatever I was going through; it always empowers me to know that I have the power to be there for myself and without writing I doubt that I could do that very easily.

What specific topics do you like writing about?

I like to write about things that I find important and empowering. I believe that in the world we live in today, it’s really easy to get caught up in trivial subjects unfortunately, so I try to stay away from reading or writing about things that I don’t feel very passionate about such as celebrities. I like to write about things that make people think or things that don’t usually cross people’s minds on a daily basis.

That is very true, there are so many important topics that get neglected when they deserve just as much attention. What is one quote or motto that you swear by?

“Nostalgia is a dirty liar that insists things were better than they seemed.”

It helps me remember to live and embrace the present and not dwell on the past or things that are out of my control.  

Can you list some of the artists you listen to?

I have a very different taste in music than most people I know of; I enjoy listening to alternative and rock music, especially indie rock. I absolutely love The Beatles, Kings of Leon, Radiohead, Tame Impala and the Veils. My favorite modern band is most definitely The Neighbourhood; I fell in love with them the first time I heard “Sweater Weather”.

That’s a very unique genre of music and I’ve always admired this style of music including “Sweater Weather”; it’s one of my favorites! What is on your bucket list for this summer?

My bucket list for this summer consists of me getting a summer job and visiting my family in Iran whom I haven’t seen in about a year and a half. I’d also like to travel somewhere, possibly Paris with a friend.

Last but not least, what intrigued you to join Her Campus at York? What do you expect to achieve here as a writer?

Well, I’d say that my passion for writing and my workaholic personality persuaded me to join Her Campus at York U. Other than my desire to keep busy at all times, I’m the sort of person who likes to go above and beyond. I try to, as much as I can, embrace life and live as opposed to just survive, which is why I love to try new things all the time and learn as much as I can about things that interest me. Her Campus was the perfect opportunity to pour out my creative side and give myself something to do besides school work.

All photos are courtesy of Mojan Fakhri.

Thank you Mojan; it has been a great pleasure of mine to be able to interview you. I learned various interesting aspects about you. I definitely put some of the artists you recommended in my list to check them out. I hope you get to complete your summer bucket list by getting to visit your lovely family back in Iran! Also, I’m sure your motivation behind writing and the topics you write about will inspire other people on their own journey with writing. I wish you all the best and welcome to Toronto!

Interested in joining a group of amazing girls like Mojan? Click one of our links below to contact us. We are always looking to expand our community and this could mean YOU!

Email: york-u@hercampus.com

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/hcyorku/

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/hcyorku/

Twitter: https://twitter.com/hcyorku/

Nabilah is in her 4th year studying Human Resource Management (Hons.). She loves writing as a way to express herself and has a great passion for travelling, trying out new food, dancing, and exploring new fashion. She is currently the VP of Events at HRSA YorkU & a Global Ambassador at York International. Topics relating to travelling to new destinations, health/fitness, skincare, beauty or fashion greatly interests her and Nabilah loves that she is able to share her ideas and experiences through HerCampus.
Wilfrid Laurier University Alumna - BA Honours History & Minor in Sociology and Religion and Culture. York University B.Ed. Her Campus York U Campus Correspondent/ HSA Advisor/ Chapter Advisor.  When I'm not leading the team, advising, or writing you'll find me watching any and every reality T.V show or re-runs of Friends and Gilmore Girls. Semi-classy wine lady who thinks pineapple on pizza is a crime.