This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at York U chapter.

I find myself surrounded by way too many peers who believe that they are too old for Halloween. What dictates that you are too old for Halloween?

Celebrating Halloween is not uncool. Dressing up is not uncool. You’re never too old to celebrate. If you are convinced that it is too late in life to be trick-or-treating or are simply tired of the tradition, there are plenty of other things to do.

To prepare for the day, start preparing a costume and decorating your house. Carve some pumpkins to put outside. Make caramel/candy apples for yourself and bake some yummy Halloween-themed goodies. If you aren’t much of a baker, try putting together something like popcorn balls or Rice Krispies Squares. If you are trying to be healthy, make some mashed potato ghosts or a spooky salad.​

Frankenstein Jack-o-Lantern

You can put together loot bags for your trick-or-treating guests. Perhaps add a cute toy in addition to the candy. Didn’t you love trick-or-treating and getting loot bags, or jumbo-sized chocolate bars? Once, I even got toy cars – which was pretty cool.

And when the day finally comes, be ready for it. Make sure you dress up. Not dressing up is boring! Unless you have an actual problem with Halloween, dress up. It is fun. There are various things that you can do on Halloween. The first is obviously trick-or-treating. You can also party with friends. Partying doesn’t just mean going to a friend’s house and drinking. Rather, plan a potluck, plan some fun games, and tell scary stories.

If you are more of an introvert, spend the day at home with close friends or family watching scary movies! Remember that not all Halloween movies are scary – so, if you’re not a fan of horror or thrillers, there are always the fantasy options like our family favourite, Halloweentown! Is your significant other not much of a fan of Halloween? Get them into the spirit by having a date night and doing one of the suggested activities with them.

Are you more of the giving type? Do you have fun when you know other people are enjoying themselves? You can be one of those awesome houses that trick-or-treaters come to and it completely freaks the shit out of them. Sit on a bench outside of your house or hide in a tree and scare trick-or-treaters as they visit your house for candy. Keep safety in mind and be sure not to make physical contact with any of the guests.

Have a wonderful Halloween folks!

Hey! I'm Stephanie Wilcox, and I am a professional writing major here at York U! I spend most of my time playing piano or ukulele and crying over books and boybands. I'm currently studying Korean as an elective, and I hope to do plenty of travelling after I graduate. I believe in fighting for a better, safer, and more equal future, especially through words and writing. This is my third year at York University, and I am thrilled to begin writing with Her Campus this year as a CC and seeing the impact we will be making here!