Goodbye to Vari Hall, Hello Law School: Kevin Wilcox

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at York U chapter.

A senior, preparing to graduate in 2016, Kevin Wilcox’s leather satchel is not the only weight he carries on his shoulders. After four years of working towards a degree in law and society, Kevin is poised to enter the world of law school. His years have been full ones; some spent engaging with some of the university’s many Christian groups, and other years engaging with the student body on a smaller, more personal level. He fondly recounts all of these interactions as some of his happiest memories at York University. When asked what he believes has impacted his time the most at York, he says, “The diversity of opinion, worldviews, cultures, and demographics at York has impacted me the most by a long shot.”

Over the years, he has become a well-known face in the halls of the university. He is known for his welcoming personality; even if he had only known someone for a brief period of time, he would treat every person as if they were his close friend. When walking from class to class, if he sees someone he met once, he will approach them and ask how they’ve been and what exciting things have been happening in their lives. His involvement with so many groups such as Chinese Christian Fellowship, United Through Worship, and Osgoode Christian Legal Fellowship, along with his genuine care and interest in every person he meets has made him a beloved figure at York. Kevin knows that after graduating he will miss every person he has been able to meet and know throughout his undergraduate degree.

He is excited but somewhat apprehensive about graduating and moving on to law school next year: “It’s exciting and sobering at the same time. There are moments where I reflect and wish I could have studied harder, lived more fully, reached out to my colleagues more effectively and intentionally, and frankly just loved my life where I was at a little better.” Kevin admits that he wasn’t thrilled about going to York when he was first accepted, and wishes he had handled the initial culture shock of university better. However, Kevin firmly believes that he would not be the same person today if things had played out differently.

Does he feel his undergraduate degree in law and society has adequately prepared him for the big step that is law school? Currently, Kevin feels it is too early to say. However, he believes the critical thinking and researching skills he has gained, as well as the ability to work independently and in a group, will serve him well throughout the next few years. Kevin is ready, and he is excited to begin this next part of his journey.

His final words of advice?

“To those first year students who are starting into Law and Society, I would echo an old proverb to ‘seek first to understand, and then to be understood.’ There are lots of incredibly intelligent, thoughtful, and caring people who will have incredible ideas about how communities, nations, and the world ought to be run. Listen to them, offer your thoughts gently and in humility, and know when to pick your battles.

To those first years who are pursuing law school, I implore you to keep your eye on the goal. Good grades are, unfortunately, very important to your success as an applicant to law school. Learn how to say no when you know you should be studying instead of spending time with those awesome people who want to spend time with you (because they know you’re awesome too). Don’t do what I did: don’t fight the advice of those who love you and want to keep you on track just because you don’t want your friends to forget about you. Your aspiration is a noble one. Keep it up, you’ve got this!”

Hey! I'm Stephanie Wilcox, and I am a professional writing major here at York U! I spend most of my time playing piano or ukulele and crying over books and boybands. I'm currently studying Korean as an elective, and I hope to do plenty of travelling after I graduate. I believe in fighting for a better, safer, and more equal future, especially through words and writing. This is my third year at York University, and I am thrilled to begin writing with Her Campus this year as a CC and seeing the impact we will be making here!