This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at York U chapter.

Why do I feel a sense of embarrassment when affirming I’m a Feminist? Is it because I find the word ‘feminist’ negative or aggressive? No, not at all. I am honoured to be associated with women who fought for my rights; the right for my education, my vote and voice in society. So why do I feel myself break into a cold sweat whenever the F word is brought up?

In my personal experience, the term feminist brings with it connotations of the most extreme opinions within the spectrum of feminism. Common assumptions are ‘man hating women’ who think ‘women are superior to men’. Well, here’s something which might be revolutionary, but the definition of feminism is ‘the advocacy of women’s rights on the ground of the equality of the sexes’, or to quote a rather witty T-shirt in H&M ‘Feminism: the radical notion that women are people.’ I know it’s crazy right? In addition to women wanting gender equality, men can benefit too as they strive for equal treatment in the realms of childcare. (A guy who’s a feminist?! I promise it doesn’t get much more shocking from here on out.)

So if this is a positive movement, then why is it whenever I voice my opinion about an injustice, am I greeted with “oh, you’re not getting all feminist-y are you?” Why is the term being used in a derogatory manner to make me feel like I should apologies for highlighting an inequality? When Malala Yousafzai was courageous enough to stand up against the Talaban through the written word and her extensive campaigning for girls’ education, we celebrated her and welcomed her remarkable achievements with open arms. But on a day-to-day basis why is it when I, or any other female is being treated unequally do I feel ashamed to stand up and say something?

I know that I am not the only person my age that feels apprehensive about outwardly identifying as a feminist. But hey, I don’t think it’s crazy to want to be paid the same as my male colleagues. Astonishingly, in the UK the wage gap still stands at women making 78p to every £1 a man makes. And although some of you may read this and think, ‘we’re pretty close, that’ll do,’ I say we can do better. My generation and generations of girls after deserve to be paid the same as the boys that sit next to them in class. Would you want to see your sister, daughter, mother, or even yourself working just as hard, only to be paid unequally for no other reason than gender?

Wage gap is hardly the only problem, albeit a significant one. You only have to Google sexual harassment and the ‘ways to avoid it’ and you may as well stay inside for the rest of your life, because after two full pages of instructions it’s easier to do so. Maybe we should publish lists educating humans on how not to sexually harass women, instead of making us feel like we are the problem. Cause that’s how it feels. It feels like we’re being told, “look, this is inevitable so just do this stuff to make it less likely, okay?” I wonder in my life time if I’ll be able to go for a jog without having to carefully plan my route, take into consideration of how light it is out, or texting a friend to let them know my whereabouts, even before I’ve stepped out the door. Cause frankly, it’s hella annoying.

So yes, I want to be able to voice my opinion and not be made to feel small, I want everyone to be paid equally, I want women to be able to leave the house without feeling unsafe, and I don’t think these are outlandish expectations in 2015, if these make me a Feminist, then what do I have to be ashamed of?

An exchange student from England, currently studying in Canada. I have a background in Journalism and editing.