This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at York U chapter.

Full name: George E.

Major & Graduating year: Electrical Engineering, 2016

Relationship Status: Single

Hometown: Thessaloniki, Greece (Exchange student at YorkU)

School activities: Organizing educational (or not) student events, Music Society

Hobbies: Rockin’ the guitar, climbing rocks and reading books

1. Why did you choose Canada? “Well, it happened kind of accidentally… There was a call for an exchange program under a scholarship, I applied for fun and got selected! But I do not regret it at all. Canada is a beautiful country with awesome people and the experience both at the University and otherwise has been magnificent so far.”

2. How does Yorku differ from your Greek University? “What amazes me about YorkU is the fact it is a whole ecosystem, which we don’t have in Greece. The campus has everything! Besides the basics faculties, residences, gym, you can have everything here without leaving the grounds. You want food? It’s here. Drinks? It’s here. Bookstore? Hair salon? Clinic? Everything is here. It’s like a small town populated just by students from all around the world.”

3. What has been the biggest culture shock since you’ve arrived in Canada? “I would have to say the size of the city. Europeans generally aren’t used to these huge cities. Back home everything’s in walking distance, the center, the sights, the bars, everything. Here you really need to plan ahead. Oh, and you definitely need a car, if you want to make the best out of it.”

4. Who is your Hollywood crush and why? “Liv Tyler, hands down. She is the daughter of the legendary Steven Tyler of Aerosmith. Being a rock fan since I was a kid, it was very difficult not to have a crush on the iconic, rebellious L. A. teenager, who starred in the music videos of my favorite band.”

5. Where do you see yourself in 10 years time? “Ten years from now I hope I have a job that pays a ton of money, allowing me to work from my laptop whilst being on a Greek Island or safari in Kenya- with my awesome wife and kids. Am I asking too much?”

6. Who or what is your inspiration? “I get inspired by a lot of things: By true talent, by a melody that challenges my horizons, by love between high school sweethearts that lasts, by witnessing small acts of kindness and people who beat the odds and make a difference in this world. When I get inspired, I do my best to channel that inspiration back out into the world, by being active, creative and kind.”

7. Any advice for future exchange students? “Have fun people! Exchange programs are one of the best perks of being in university, and they’re offered nearly everywhere. Just keep your eyes open for calls and opportunities and you might be going to Fiji next semester! Also, don’t take it too seriously; You won’t remember a lot from that history course that you took in Spain, but your experiences will stay in your heart and memory forever!”

An exchange student from England, currently studying in Canada. I have a background in Journalism and editing.