Everything You Need to Know About The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at York U chapter.

It’s finally October, which means there is a lot to look forward to in the realm of TV.  If you didn’t already know, Netflix has announced that there will be a new original series coming out called The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina. It looks like this show will be a lot more dark and dramatic than you might expect. If you love all things wicked and witchy, this show will be perfect for you! Here’s everything you’ll need to know and expect about the upcoming original series.

When it’s being released

Mark your calendars! The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina will be released to Netflix on Friday, October 26. If you haven’t seen the trailer yet, definitely give it a watch to prepare yourself for how chilling the show really is. The poster gives spooky vibes all while making sweet Sabrina the center of attention.

Blow the candles and make a wish. Something witchy is coming your way tomorrow. #CAOS

A post shared by Chilling Adventures of Sabrina (@sabrinanetflix) on

What to Expect

For those that love and know the 90’s Sabrina, the Teenage Witch sitcom, know that this Netflix original is not a reboot of the sitcom.

Source via Giphy

Instead, this will be based off of the actual Sabrina the Teenage Witch Archie Comics series. Don’t be disappointed though! This version has a lot to offer, so much so that Netflix has already given the show a confirmed two seasons! Much of the show’s premise still remains a mystery, but from the trailer we can definitely tell that the loving relationship between Sabrina and Harvey is still very much a thing in this upcoming series.

Source via Giphy

The Main Cast

Kiernan Shipka as Sabrina Spellman

Sabrina is a strong, young woman who just so happens to be half-human, half-witch. Once she turns 16 she learns of her dark and mysterious powers, thus starting her journey of trying to be a normal teenage girl, all while balancing her witch side.

Photo via IMDb

Lucy Davis as Hilda Spellman

Hilda is Sabrina’s humorous and compassionate aunt. She may be warm and a little childish at heart, but she can be very wicked and spiteful at times, especially to their family’s enemies.

Source via IMDb

Miranda Otto as Zelda Spellman

Zelda is Sabrina’s more stern, logical and serious aunt. The opposite of Hilda, she is intelligent and extremely devoted to her practices. She serves the Dark Lord as a member of the Church of Night, and is very proud of that fact.

Photo via IMDb

Ross Lynch as Harvey Kinkle

Harvey is the ultimate dreamy mortal guy and Sabrina’s biggest crush. Though he’s clueless about the dark side, he hopes to have a happy ending with Sabrina. There are many complications of her being a witch that will interfere.

Photo via IMDb

Tati Gabrielle as Prudence

Prudence is the leader of the Weird Sisters trio and a student at the Academy of Unseen Arts. She’s not so fond of Sabrina.

Photo via IMDb

Jaz Sinclair as Rosalind Walker

Rosalind is Sabrina’s best friend and the daughter of Greendale’s minister.

Photo via IMDb

Lachlan Watson as Susie Putnam

Susie is Sabrina’s other best friend, as well as the founder of Baxter High’s Women’s Intersectional Culture and Creative Association (WICCA club).

Photo via IMDb

Chance Perdomo as Ambrose Spellman

Ambrose is Sabrina’s cousin/partner in crime from England who’s also a warlock. He’s under house arrest by the Witches Council.

Photo via IMDb

Michelle Gomez as Mary Wardell

Mary is Sabrina’s favorite teacher at Baxter High who gets possessed by Madam Satan. The possession turns her into a cunning manipulator, set on bringing Sabrina to the Path of Night.

Photo via IMDb

Richard Coyle as Father Blackwood

Father Blackwood is the Dean of the Academy of Unseen Arts and the Priest for the Church of Night. He has a sinister plan to get in the way of Sabrina and other members of the Coven.

Photo via IMDb

Salem

If you watched the original Sabrina, The Teenage Witch then you’ll know what I mean when I say that Salem was a very iconic, relatable and funny character. You’ll be happy to know that this cat will be in The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina! Whether he will be a talking cat or not still has not been announced but I’m holding out hope that he will be!

Source via Giphy

Here’s an exclusive look at the official CAOS Salem:

the real legend, opurrr #internationalcatday

Connection to Riverdale

Seeing as this show was created by Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa, who also created Riverdale, the two shows are going to be slightly interconnected, with there hopefully being an epic crossover underway. The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina is set in Greendale, the city just outside of Riverdale (if you remember it from the few mentions of it in season two). We can expect this show to be just as dark and dramatic as Riverdale.

Behind the Scenes

The cast and creators have been posting tons of pictures of the show both on and off camera! Here’s a look at a few of them:

just a witch hitching a ride

this magic moment. see you witches on october 26. #CAOS

Susie and Ros: the best mortal friends a witch could have.

the harrowing doesn’t start until the Weird Sisters walk in.

brina and the boys.

If you weren’t already on board and in love with this show before reading this, I hope I helped change your mind. Though this show is going to be completely different than the original sitcom, it still looks like it’s going to be a big hit. The pressure for The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina to be just as successful as Riverdale is definitely there, but its attention to detail and phenomenal casting makes it all look very promising.

Feimoon is in her fourth and final year as an undergraduate student at York University, majoring in Communication Studies. She is passionate about traveling, fashion, beauty, writing and spreading positivity. She is now an Alumni of Delta Psi Delta, and past President. Now she focuses on being a Co-Campus Correspondent for the Her Campus York University chapter!
Wilfrid Laurier University Alumna - BA Honours History & Minor in Sociology and Religion and Culture. York University B.Ed. Her Campus York U Campus Correspondent/ HSA Advisor/ Chapter Advisor.  When I'm not leading the team, advising, or writing you'll find me watching any and every reality T.V show or re-runs of Friends and Gilmore Girls. Semi-classy wine lady who thinks pineapple on pizza is a crime.