Don’t Get Discouraged & Keep Trying

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at York U chapter.

As university students, one of our major concerns – especially one’s in their senior year, could often be employment stress. Increased talents have made many career fields competitive more than ever! Standing out in a pool of similar or more qualified individuals is extremely difficult, but the key is to avoid getting too discouraged and keep trying.

You may see friends and classmates receiving job offers but you’re still striving to get an interview. You may be attending all the available company info sessions but still failing to make connections with company representatives. You probably submitted hundreds of resumes and wrote hundreds of cover letters but are still not getting a call. But you have to understand, some people may just be luckier than you and if you keep trying, your opportunity will come. It is totally fine if you feel discouraged but at the end of the day, you must remember to never give up until you reach your goal.

There is no need to rush yourself because there are many others who are in similar situations as you. Moreover, we often compare ourselves to the small percentage of successful and lucky individuals. Instead of feeling depressed, you can change your perspective and see them as your motivation. For example, if you have friends who received job offers, instead of feeling discouraged, seek advice from them! Ask them for help with resume and cover letters, or even with interview questions.

Another great way to make yourself stand out among thousands of applicants is to showcase what you possess that others don’t have. For example, if you travelled overseas for an exchange program, you can discuss about the unique experiences you encountered. You must keep the employers interested in what you talk about. Hence, make sure you highlight any aspects about yourself that represents your personality and how you are different from all the other applicants.

You need to have faith and believe in yourself that your opportunity will come.

Good luck to you!

Image sources:

thyblackman.com