Don’t Forget the Garlic!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at York U chapter.

I absolutely adore fall, its colors, its foods, the pumpkin spice flavored everything; I just can’t get enough of fall! Despite the stress of school, fall is when I feel happiest outside; the bugs are going away (sorry bug lovers!), the scorching summer heat is mostly gone so I can enjoy walking in the crisp air, and fall flowers are blooming everywhere.

One of my favorite things to do during the fall is go to seasonal festivals and fairs, such as the Beeton Fall Fair of my childhood, or the Toronto Garlic Festival I went to this weekend.

The Toronto Garlic Festival is exactly what it sounds like: a festival celebrating garlic. This year it took place in Wychwood Barns Park and had booths set up both inside and outside the Artscape Wychwood Barns building. There were booths lining every section of the festival, with massive lines for all of them; I had never imagined garlic as being such a popular food, but the festival was bustling with people all day, eager to try new kinds of garlic or whatever unique garlic combinations the cooks and farmers had created.

The dishes sold at the TGF were wide in variety: everything from sausages and kimchi to garlic fudge and poutines was being sold to and devoured by the masses of attendees. As I squeezed through the crowds and wandered through each section, I discovered that two films about garlic and food waste were being shown to further attendees’ education on health and protecting our resources along with one VR game being used to demonstrate how garlic is grown and each stage of the garlic’s development.

After finding some food of my own and enjoying the live pianists at the event, I was feeling ready to begin the long trek north of the city to my computer and bed. I had found some special treats for someone who hadn’t been able to come to the festival, I had wandered the lush, fragrant gardens of this community center, and I had seen at least five dogs; it had been a good day.

Despite the long drive to and from the festival, attending had forced me into a position where I could not do anything school related—an important thing for someone who doesn’t know when to give herself a break and enjoy some freedom. Attending the Toronto Garlic Festival this weekend reminded me that it’s okay to have a day or two where you don’t get any work done, because if you’re spending that time with people you love or doing things that help you feel relaxed, it isn’t time wasted. I also had some amazing garlic products and I’m seriously craving some of the spreads and spice mixes my mom bought this afternoon, so I’m not too torn up over how my time was spent this weekend.

Enjoy the beautiful colors and weather while you can, Lions! And don’t forget the garlic!

Hey! I'm Stephanie Wilcox, and I am a professional writing major here at York U! I spend most of my time playing piano or ukulele and crying over books and boybands. I'm currently studying Korean as an elective, and I hope to do plenty of travelling after I graduate. I believe in fighting for a better, safer, and more equal future, especially through words and writing. This is my third year at York University, and I am thrilled to begin writing with Her Campus this year as a CC and seeing the impact we will be making here!