This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at York U chapter.

The end of summer marks a time of reflection on how sun-filled days were spent, adventures were taken, and memories were made. My summer was spent working a local camp counselor for children ages 6-12. 

I’ve been a camp counselor before, but looking back at this year, I was filled with so much gratitude for an experience that I initially had many doubts about (those who know, know). 

I am writing this to inform those who are thinking about being camp counselors next summer on what could be expected, some potential challenges, and of course, what to look forward to. Just a friendly reminder that these are based on my personal experiences and what I have witnessed during my summer.

So, what can you expect as a camp counselor? Expect it all. Everyday is an adventure of both predictability and unpredictability. While all experiences are different, there’s 3 things to know in order to “survive” the summer. 

1. Pinterest will become your best friend when it comes to finding fun crafts and activities for your campers. 
  2. Rest is crucial (even if it’s just for one minute). Believe me, a minute may be all you have before a camper calls you when they need something. That being said, learn to appreciate the fact you are needed. 
  3. Take on a lighthearted approach; spilled paint will always get cleaned!

Most importantly, while you are busy trying to “survive,” remember to take a moment to appreciate the little things. 

1. The days are long but the weeks fly.
  2. Children are truly the greatest teachers; we can learn so much from their unique worldviews.
  3. Hugs don’t solve all problems, but they can solve most. 
  4. While children are storytellers, they also have stories written behind their smiles. This can be a major reality check.
  5. Have the best time with your co-workers, especially those who embrace your quirkiness and admire your energy.

My biggest lesson to newcomers is to try and exude confidence from the beginning, because you will walk away at the end wondering why you ever thought you were not good enough. You will realize the impact you made through those special moments with campers, and of course, the dozens and dozens of string bracelets, unexpected hugs, Tims gift cards and unique gifts (I got a clay dinosaur)! On the days where you feel like you don’t have much to give, a smile can go a long way. And on days where you don’t have anything to give, just try your best and don’t be too hard on yourself.

But the real question is how did I “survive”? EASY. Taylor Swift’s entire discography playing on repeat every day!

For those who are thinking about being a camp counselor, I strongly recommend it for so many reasons. The fulfillment and personal growth are worth the many hurdles to overcome and honestly, challenges are what makes camp, camp.

Sofia is a part time writer at Her Campus for York University. Branching under the sectors of life and culture, Sofia likes to write about her experiences and inspirations, that shape the person she is, and wants to be. She loves to write because it demonstrates her creativity and allows her to connect with other people. Writing is her favourite form of communication because words on paper hold so much meaning, and she hopes to give that to readers. Beyond Her Campus, Sofia works for the City of Vaughan, where she instructs recreational programs for children and youth. She enjoys working with children and youth because learning from them is both a humbling and rewarding experience. Sofia completed her undergraduate studies, majoring in Children, Childhood & Youth Studies, and minoring in Sociology. She is currently in her first year in the Bachelor of Education Program, as a teacher candidate. Aside from writing, Sofia enjoys reading romance novels and watching movies in her free time. Always ready for adventures, she loves discovering new restaurants in Downtown Toronto and enjoys going for walks. But most importantly, spending time with family, friends, and her dog Léo are what brings her the most joy.