This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at York U chapter.

“I believe that we should never stop learning.” Chelsea Handler states as she reads her opening monologue on the first episode of her new show, Chelsea. “And I recognize the irony of me saying that, since I accidently missed a few days of high school and all of college,” she jokes as she walks over to another set just because she wants to. Sitting at her desk Chelsea continues to say, “I finally sprang for a desk because I’m treating this show like the college education I never had.”

To me, comedian and talk show host, Chelsea Handler has always come across as so hilarious, carefree, unapologetic, and fearless and she’s been able to build a career out of being all those things in spite of what people may say about her. Although some people have disagreed with the things she has done and said, I think she’s a great feminist role model. I have been watching her on television and laughing along with her for a long time, and I’ve just grown to love her more every time I read her books or watch another episode of Chelsea.

Chelsea at 41 years old is now at the top of her game and has taken her platform to a whole new level to create something amazing. Her show, Chelsea, streaming on Netflix, exceeds entertainment purposes. The segments on her show are informative, inspiring, and a lot of the time, female-fueled. She even occasionally takes a political approach to enforce the importance of voting to her young viewers. She uses her voice to speak on current events and issues facing the world today, by having guests of all different areas of interest, from sports and spirituality to politics and relationships. Arranging celebrity dinners, taking trips to foreign countries to debunk stereotypes, and trying out new career fields, are just some of the ways she does this by switching up the traditional talk show format. Even though she still has many high profile celebrity guests on the show, the interviews are about so much more than just gossip. She still has celebrities come on to promote their current projects, however, she is very thoughtful in how she chooses them. Beyond talking about what they are currently doing, these guests focus on other important issues as well like LGBTQ rights, human trafficking, the education system, racism, feminism, and other issues facing society today. In addition to celebrities, Politicians, scientists, entrepreneurs, and authors are just some of the types of guests who have visited the show this season. 

Chelsea has stated on many occasions that her goal is to use the show to learn about things she’s never really had interest in, in an attempt to expand her knowledge and awareness, and encourage her viewers to do the same. This is all done with the same comedic and unapologetic approach she has always employed in all her work, making it even more funny and entertaining in true Chelsea fashion. I definitely recommend putting some time aside to binge-watch a few episodes of Chelsea, I guarantee you will learn something new.

Image source(s) – 1: http://www.avclub.com/article/chelsea-handlers-new-netflix-show-has-lost-its-sho-237467

Image source(s) – 2: http://www.instyle.com/reviews-coverage/tv-shows/chelsea-handler-new-show-netflix-travel

Julia is a fourth-year undergraduate student studying Creative Writing and Psychology at York University, and to distract herself from thinking about the future, she spends her time writing and shopping impulsively. She is passionate about empowering young women, and through her contribution to HerCampus, she hopes she can encourage girls to celebrate who they are. You can usually find her in her bed or wandering around bakeries.
Hey! I'm Stephanie Wilcox, and I am a professional writing major here at York U! I spend most of my time playing piano or ukulele and crying over books and boybands. I'm currently studying Korean as an elective, and I hope to do plenty of travelling after I graduate. I believe in fighting for a better, safer, and more equal future, especially through words and writing. This is my third year at York University, and I am thrilled to begin writing with Her Campus this year as a CC and seeing the impact we will be making here!