This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at York U chapter.

The one thing that everyone 20-something can agree on is that we are nostalgic for the ’90s. Whether that be for ‘90s fashion, music or movies, we wish we could go back. To help us relive this amazing decade I compiled a list of the 7 best High School Movies from that time.

Jawbreaker (1999)

How I describe Jawbreaker is that it is the Mean Girls before Mean Girls, except with a darker twist. This seemingly normal high school movie takes a turn when the popular girls accidentally murder their best friend. There is also a classic makeover scene which is so ‘90s.

GIF via Giphy

Drive Me Crazy (1999)

The movie title is based on Britney Spears’ song “(You Drive Me) Crazy,” and the cast also appeared in her music video! This movie centers around a popular girl named Nicole who was ditched by her perfect prom date, Brad. She now has a limited amount of time to find a better prom date to make Brad jealous.

GIF via Giphy

Clueless (1995)

Clueless has everything, attractive boys (Paul Rudd), the best catchphrases: “as if!” and “totally buggin,” and the best insult of all time: “You’re a virgin, who can’t drive.” This movie follows Cher and her friends as they navigate their way through the challenges of high school.

GIF via Giphy

She’s All That (1999)

In She’s All That, the very popular Zach, is dared to take the nerdiest girl in school to prom. Not only that, but he has to get her to be voted prom queen. All he has to do is give her a makeover of course! Does everything go according to plan? I guess you’ll just have to watch!

GIF via Giphy

Cruel Intentions (1999)

Cruel Intentions is far from a typical high school movie, with extremely dark humour and overly mature themes it definitely was intended to shock. Devious step-siblings Sebastien and Kathryn come up with a scheme to break Annette out of her plan to stay a virgin until marriage. Things take a turn when sex-maniac Sebastien starts to catch feelings for Annette.

GIF via Giphy

Dazed and Confused (1993)

Dazed and Confused follows different cliques in high school as they smoke weed and attend a keg party. This movie also has deeper conversations about the meaning of life and what to do next after high school.

GIF via Giphy

10 Things I Hate About You (1999)

This movie is about one of the smartest girls in school, Kat, and the new boy, Patrick. Kat is scared to let her guard down but Patrick is hard to resist and with a school dance coming up, and pressure from her family to attend, she may just give in.

GIF via Giphy

Does this list bring back memories? It honestly makes me want to have a sleepover and binge them all over again. What was your favourite high school movie from the ’90s and did it make the list?

A perpetually lost writer who is just trying to make sense of it all. Never ask me for directions. 
Wilfrid Laurier University Alumna - BA Honours History & Minor in Sociology and Religion and Culture. York University B.Ed. Her Campus York U Campus Correspondent/ HSA Advisor/ Chapter Advisor.  When I'm not leading the team, advising, or writing you'll find me watching any and every reality T.V show or re-runs of Friends and Gilmore Girls. Semi-classy wine lady who thinks pineapple on pizza is a crime.