A Post-Writers’ Strike Take: 3 TV Shows to Binge While We Wait for Production to Resume

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at York U chapter.

This article was originally supposed to be titled “3 TV shows to watch while we wait for writers to be compensated fairly.” However, in case you haven’t heard, the Writer’s Guild of America (WGA) reached a tentative agreement with the Alliance of Motion Picture and Television Producers (AMPTP), and the WGA voted to lift the strike on September 27, 2023. Now that the writers are being paid fairly, production can resume and hopefully we’ll see some new episodes soon! In the meantime, here are 3 completed TV shows to watch while we wait for our favorites to come back on the air. 

1. The Office

A fictional paper company Dunder Mifflin located in Scranton, Pennsylvania, finds themselves the subject of a documentary. The film crew follows the lives of the employees, and catches all the drama, hilarity and poignant everydayness of this group’s 9-5. It’s an exaggerated yet accurate description of anyone who works in an office. There’s the annoying boss, the best friends to lovers, the one no one likes, the one who might be a criminal and so many more. You’ll probably see some of your coworkers and/or friends represented by these characters, and there are tons of funny moments that will definitely have you laughing. 

2. Bones

Forensic Anthropologist Temperance “Bones” Brennan and her team at the fictional Jeffersonian Institute consult with Special Agent Seeley Booth and the F.B.I to solve possible murder cases. The Jeffersonian team provides their scientific expertise in all things forensics, and can do everything from examining human remains to identifying locations based on dirt found on a victim’s clothes. The show also has a heavy focus on the personal lives of its main characters and their interpersonal relationships. You’ll laugh, you’ll cry, and you’ll fall in love with this found family. There are some great guest stars too, ranging from Betty White to Stewie from Family Guy. Who knows, you may even learn a thing or two.

3. House, M.D. 

Set in the fictional Princeton–Plainsboro Teaching Hospital in New Jersey, this show focuses on the titular character, Dr. Gregory House. House, along with his team of diagnosticians, solve medical mysteries that can’t seem to be solved by anyone else. This is not your typical medical drama/comedy, though. House does not follow any of the rules, and is the cause of roughly 40% of the hospital’s yearly malpractice lawsuits. He fights with all the hospital staff, doesn’t follow any rules, and is the rudest guy you’ll ever meet. He’s the perfect anti-hero, and whether you’re laughing at one of his outrageous comments or wondering how he hasn’t gotten fired, this show will grasp your attention right until the end.

And there you have it. Three great shows that are bound to keep you entertained while you wait for your favourites to come back. Which will you watch first? 

Note: The television shows chosen for this article are based on thorough research, definitely not what the author unsolicitedly recommends to everyone she knows.

Eliana Alexandroff is a writer for Her Campus, with the York University chapter. She writes articles of varying topics, depending on what inspiration strikes her with. Beyond her role at Her Campus, Eliana is in pursuit of her bachelor’s degree of Social Work, with a minor in Professional Writing. In her free time, Eliana enjoys listening to music and watching television shows, spending time with her close friends, and adding to her ever growing list of books to read. Her favorite singers are Ed Sheeran and Taylor Swift, she has seen The Office and Bones more times than she can count and drinks way too much coffee for her own good.