A Beginner’s Guide to Classics: 5 Great Novels to Start With

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at York U chapter.

I’ve always been a book lover. I spent most of elementary and middle school reading fantasies and dystopias, like Percy Jackson and the Olympians or The Maze Runner. Then comes high school, and my grade 10 English teacher brings out Jane Eyre.

Most people hated it–why is it so hard to get through? Why is the story so slow? Why is Mr. Rochester so much older than her? 

Listen, I get it. Some of these are really, really difficult to get through. Even if the story manages to pique your interest, the author’s six page description of a curtain will bore you to the point where you forget what the story is even about. Classics have a bad reputation…they’re long, they’re overly-descriptive, they use old language, and the age gaps in these romances tend to be pretty questionable. Which is why I decided to write this article. I love classics. In the past few years, it’s been one of the only genres I’ve really enjoyed. I’ve read Jane Austen’s funny and tension-filled romances. I’ve cried over Charles Dickens’ sad old men. I’ve stayed up late to stare at the back cover of a gothic horror, thinking “What did I just read?”

So if you want to explore classics but don’t know how to get into them, I’ve got you covered. Here’s a list of 5 short, fun, and easy to read classic novels to start off with. 

1. The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson 

Published in 1886, this novella was revolutionary for the horror genre at its time, and continues to influence the genre to this day. Being one of the first of its kind, this book dives into the idea of an innate and unconscious evil within humans, and goes one step further by personifying it. The story follows Mr. Utterson, a clever lawyer, who investigates the many strange occurrences surrounding his close friend, the kind and mild-mannered Dr. Jekyll, and his relationship to the infamous and murderous Mr. Hyde, a vile criminal haunting the streets of London. Utterson’s investigation brings him closer to the secrets of the two men, revealing the haunting and unnerving role Hyde seems to play in Jekyll’s life. 

If you’re busy throughout the semester and find it difficult to make time for reading, the perk is how short this book is. Along with being a much easier read than most books of its time, The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde is fast-paced and suspenseful, drawing you in and leaving your heart pounding by the time you finish the book. 

2. A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens

I had the pleasure of reading this book for my creative writing class in high school. Another short book, this 1843 story has become synonymous with everything else associated with Christmas, and is the subject of many film adaptations over the years. Considered the greatest writer of the Victorian era, Dickens first published this novella in 1843, penning it in just six weeks. Dickens tells the tale of Mr. Ebenezer Scrooge, a grumpy and unpleasant man who believes nothing good can happen in life, especially not around Christmas. Selfish and miserable, Scrooge is haunted the night before Christmas by the spirit of his old business partner, who warns him to change his arrogant ways before he regrets it. You know the story from here–Scrooge is visited by three spirits of Christmas, who take him on a journey to reflect on his life and the world around him, showing him the true meaning of Christmas.

Another short book that’s easy to read when you’re busy, Dickens’ simple and engaging writing style captivates readers, narrating a touching story that will leave your heart feeling warm by the time you finish it. A Christmas Carol is perfect to enjoy in December, when the festive spirit is at its peak, so be sure to curl up in your coziest sweater with a warm drink and enjoy this book while the snow falls outside. 

3. pride and prejudice by jane austen

You’ve definitely seen the 2005 adaptation of this book, and if you haven’t, you’re missing out. Possibly Austen’s most popular novel, Pride and Prejudice is also arguably one of her most romantic works. The story follows Elizabeth Bennet, one of five daughters of the Bennet family, who’s mother is obsessed with presenting her daughters to society and getting them married. Clever, intuitive, and witty, Elizabeth’s opinionated personality is combated by the wealthy yet arrogant, blunt, and aloof Mr. Darcy. Finding themselves at odds with one another, the two seem to pick on each other’s flaws–Elizabeth believes Darcy is conceited and cruel to the others around him, and Darcy believes Elizabeth to be inferior in social and familial status. As the two find themselves drawn to each other, they are forced to reflect on the flaws within themselves and their behaviors, and acknowledge the prideful perspectives with which they looked down on one another. 

Among her many novels written in the early 1800s, Pride and Prejudice remains one of her most funny and swoon-worthy novels. With its tension and intrigue-filled romantic dynamic, it remains influential among the romance genre to this day. 

4. the picture of dorian gray by oscar wilde

If you’re on the “dark academia” side of TikTok, then you’ve seen this book mentioned repeatedly. But The Picture of Dorian Gray has held fame among the literature world long before that. Written in 1891, the book was once infamous and controversial enough to land its author in prison. Oscar Wilde tells the story of Dorian Gray, an overwhelmingly beautiful and alluring man, who has his portrait painted by a close friend who is infatuated with Dorian’s beauty, the talented artist Basil Howard. Yet Dorian’s innocent and naive personality is changed when he meets the hedonistic and cunning Lord Henry, who draws Dorian into a world of obsession, cruelty, and immorality, with the promise that his beauty will remain untainted even with age and behavior. But your actions always catch up to you–Dorian Gray’s soul will present its corruption on the portrait his dear friend painted, growing uglier and hideous with each sin he commits. 

Gripping, suspenseful, and full of stunning plot twists, The Picture of Dorian Gray will captivate readers with its impactful dialogue and captivating storytelling. If you’re looking for a gothic novel full of murder, hedonism, and terror, look no further. 

5. the great gatsby by f. scott fitzgerald

Another well-known and popular novel, this book is the epitome of society in the Jazz Age of America. Narrated from the perspective of the middle class worker Nick Carraway, he tells the story of Jay Gatsby, a mysterious and celebrated millionaire, and his obsession with his past lover Daisy Buchanan, who is already married. Managing to reunite with her through Nick, Gatsby and Daisy’s affair is confronted with tragedy that even the richest men can’t stop. 

Written at the peak of the Roaring 20’s, Fitzgerald believed the book to be his greatest works, but it didn’t gain commercial or literary success until the 1950s, from where it has become an icon as a representation of American fiction and American culture. 

Flames SpringSummer Hero Templates 2022 7?width=1024&height=1024&fit=cover&auto=webp
Warner Bros. Pictures

So, if you’re interested in classic literature but have trouble finding a good place to start, these books are perfect for you. Easy to read and captivating enough to hold your attention, there are many classics that can introduce you to a new world of literary works. And who knows? Maybe you’ll find a favorite gem among these works. Happy reading!

Midhat Ahmed

York U '25

Midhat Ahmed is a third year Neuroscience major and a part-time writer at the Her Campus at York University chapter. She focuses on covering a wide range of topics within media, literature, and culture, bringing a unique perspective to her favourite movies, analyzing her favourite books, and relating her interests to her own experiences. Outside of Her Campus, Midhat works as a research assistant in a neuroscience lab, and spends most of her time running participants on studies conducted by grad students, working with various people to collect data, and even to provide feedback to newer experiments being run in her lab. During her free time, Midhat loves to read books, and spends hours curating her 80+ playlists on Spotify. She can usually be found curled up in a blanket on the floor of her room watching a psychological thriller anime and drinking her third cup of matcha of the day.