This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at York U chapter.

While Valentine’s Day can seem like a day reserved for those in romantic relationships, it’s important to be grateful for friends, family members, and of course, you! So, whatever this day and season represents for you, there is a perfect movie to be enjoyed (even if you’re just watching to leave a review on Letterbox).

The worst person in the world (2021)

The Worst Person in The World (2021), directed by Joachim Trier, made a splash when it first entered cinemas. Winning an Oscar and Cannes award, this Norwegian film follows a young woman (Julie), who is not only completely lost when it comes to her career path, but also her love life. As she struggles to find her footing, she makes more and more bad choices until she is left to reckon with the consequences of her actions. Her relatability mixed with the beautiful cinematography and Norwegian love triangles will make the movie an enjoyable experience. Fair warning, the film does pull on the heartstrings.

Before sunrise (1995 – 2013)

Kellyn Simpkin-Girl In Front Of Eiffel Tower France Hat Paris
Kellyn Simpkin / Her Campus

The Before Sunrise trilogy, directed by Richard Linklater, has amassed a large cult following, despite being based on a very simple premise. All three films follow the journey of cool-french girl Celine and American Jesse as they meet, talk, and roam whatever European city they happen to be in (most iconically Vienna). The camera stays largely focused on the two as they build a special relationship with one another. A perfect sappy, hopeful film for the Valentine’s season.

how to be single (2016)

How To Be Single (2016), directed by Christian Ditter, is a perfect girl’s-night-in watch. The film follows Alice right after her graduation and immediate break up with a long-term boyfriend. She makes a wild and funny best friend in Robin. As the name suggests, Alice discovered what it means to be single, while finding herself in New York City. Even though her journey is tumultuous and painful (as our 20’s normally are), it is a guaranteed fun watch for anyone without a partner this Valentine’s season.

love, rosie (2014)

Love, Rosie (2014), directed by Christian Ditter, combines moody growing pains with a romantic storyline that has made the film popular across all social media platforms. The film has seen its share of popularity, perhaps because of the much sought-after trope “Friends-to Lovers.” But, this isn’t just another romantic comedy; its emotional themes can at times be hard to digest. For anyone that is a sucker for a good angsty plot line, this film is perfect!

blue valentine (2011)

Blue Valentine (2011), directed by Derek Cianfrance, features a meaningful and deep narrative that will leave most audiences in tears by the end. The film follows a young couple from the beginning of their relationship to the eventual separation that occurs as they spend more and more years together. It is definitely not for the faint-hearted, but for people who enjoy sad romance movies, similar to The Notebook (2004). This one has Ryan Gosling too!

No matter how this Valentine’s Season will look, it’s important to remember that this time does not only represents romance, but love in general. So celebrate that with a good film for whatever mood you’re in!

Rojina Ammeh

York U '25

Rojina Ammeh is a part-time writer for Her Campus in the Toronto chapter. She writes articles covering entertainment, film, and feminism, with a particular interest in how art influences culture. Beyond Her Campus, she is an English Honours major at York University, currently completing her third year. In high school, she wrote for her student paper. She currently writes for York University's paper "The Excalibur" as a student contributor, she has also worked for a political student led magazine "Justice For Society" covering a broad range of topics including the Met Gala, Fashion sustainability, etc. She has also released content for York University's LAPS Youtube and Instagram, where she covered what the day of a student looks like, and has interviewed her student peers on what interests them. In her free time, Rojina writes Poetry which she publishes on her social media accounts, she hopes to one day release her own novels. She gives back to the community by tutoring young kids with their reading and writing skills, as she is also interested in teaching. On the weekends, she enjoys attending music festivals and concerts with her friends. She is also an avid fan of Indie bands and Formula 1.