What Every York College Student Wants for the Holidays

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at YCP chapter.

With Christmas, Hanukkah and Kwanzaa quickly approaching, it’s common for college students to be focusing more on their gift list than the materials they need to study. Not all presents though can be wrapped up in a bow, and perhaps the best gift to receive isn’t one you can buy from a store. So what do York College students want…?

1. Food that isn’t made in a microwave or served from the dining hall.

No matter how much a college student says they love the dining hall food, nothing really compares to a home cooked meal. Even if it’s just something as a simple as boxed mac and cheese, their eyes will light up with joy when they realize that they meal they’re about to eat wasn’t served in a metal tray.

2. The ability to sleep in late without worrying about missing class.

Most students find themselves taking morning classes, while 8 am doesn’t seem all that early, it’s amazing how difficult it really is to wake up on time for it (and to actually be showered and presentable). Sleep is a precious commodity for college students, and probably the most priceless gift you can give.

3. A bathroom that isn’t communal.

While it’s mostly freshmen that have to share a bathroom with their floor mates, every student knows the true joy of showering in the comfort of their home bathroom. For some reason, sharing a bathroom with siblings doesn’t seem so bad after you’ve shared it with every person you’ve lived with.

4. Their own bed/bedroom

Even with multiple memory foam mattress pads and the softest blankets around, a bed in a dorm really doesn’t compare to a bed at home. And if the student happens to share a room with someone else, going back home to their own bedroom is a truly amazing experience.

5. Not having to walk around campus in the rain.

There is no worse feeling than having a class on one side of campus and having to walk to the other end in the pouring rain on the day you just happen to forget an umbrella. Even the walk from Wolf to Humanities seems like an eternity during a downpour, and getting to class even worse if you have to walk from Main Campus to West. Getting to spend some time at home and not having to even venture outside your bed on days with poor weather is in a word: incredible.

While there’s practically an endless list of things students want a bit of a break of during their time off from school, one thing is certain, they all want to spend time at home with their families. 

Junior Public Relations major with dreams of tweeting for a living. Sister of Phi Mu. Avid Netflix watcher. Twitter: @thatshantastic Instagram: @hannah_g_b