What to do in Downtown York?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at YCP chapter.

Sure, you’ve probably driven through downtown York City numerous times and have gotten to see some of the unique sculptures, historic buildings and the York Revolution Stadium, but did you know that there’s a lot to see and do there? From shopping to restaurants to other fun events, York City can easily feel just as great as your home town.

1. First Friday

You’ve probably heard students talking about going to First Friday, and it’s the perfect way to spend a Friday night! Stores and restaurants have specials and are open later the First Friday of every month. Downtown Inc., which hosts the event, shuts down an entire street for the event! Though it’s only held from spring through the First Friday in December (after all, who wants to be outside in the cold??), First Friday is a great introduction to York City and a way to see some of what it has to offer!  Coming up on December 5 is “Light Up Night” with tons of holiday cheer and a tree lighting! For schedules, special events and more about First Friday CLICK HERE!

2. Central Market

If you like food then Central Market is the perfect place to go. Central Market is open 6 am to 2 pm on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays, with some vendors open on the first and third Fridays every month from 5 to 9 pm. There are over 50 different vendors with everything from burritos, to brownies to soft pretzels. It’s a great place to spend a Saturday morning, and with so many different places to eat you can always have something different! For more info on vendors and hours CLICK HERE.

3. Restaurants

If there’s one thing to do in York, it’s eat. If you ever need a break from the dining hall than look into one of the many different eateries in the area. Some notorious ones include The White Rose Bar & Grill, Roburritos and DiCarlos Pizza. No matter what you’re in the mood for, there’s always somewhere to eat in York.

4. The Strand Capitol Performing Arts Centre

Not every college town has a state of the art performance center just minutes from campus. From local performers to A-list acts, there’s something for everyone. For a full list of upcoming performances CLICK HERE.

5. York Revolution

Did you know that York has it’s own minor league baseball team? Well going to a York Revolution game is a great way for sports fans to spend the day. Starting in late April, the biggest up and coming baseball players take Santander Stadium and it’s a great way to enjoy the beautiful spring weather. Tickets are relatively inexpensive, starting at just $8. For the season schedule and to purchase tickets CLICK HERE.

6. Shopping

If you want to buy a gift for someone from home or maybe just a gift for yourself, York has plenty of different unique shops to find whatever you’re looking for. Stores feature products that can range from being artsy to high end. You can find everything from Vera Bradley purses to handmade soaps to custom floral arrangements. So before you go to a department store to get the same gift everyone else is giving, check out local shops for the perfect present. 

Junior Public Relations major with dreams of tweeting for a living. Sister of Phi Mu. Avid Netflix watcher. Twitter: @thatshantastic Instagram: @hannah_g_b