Welcome to the Hall of Failed National Anthems, Fergie

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at YCP chapter.

Fergalicious def…Fergalicious def…Fergalicious def…def, def, def, def, def, def, def

By now, we’ve all heard the news about Fergie’s sultry rendition of the National Anthem. Sad to say, it was really hard to watch but very funny as well.

It is certain that Fergie tried, as have all others who’ve sung the song, to make it her own. It’s what every singer says you should do, “Make the song your own. Put in your own style.” Sometimes though, it should just be sung normal – nothing special to try to make it different.

That horrible part is, we all know that Fergie has some pipes on her. Girl can sang, okay? So what exactly happened?

Tbh…I don’t know myself. She has since apologized for the performance. She really has nothing to be sorry for. There have been worse renditions of the National Anthem (#CarlLewis) – if you ever get a chance and need a good laugh, search National Anthem fails on YouTube. You won’t be disappointed.

In her defense, it is said that the National Anthem has 13 octaves.

I feel bad for her, but click here to check out celebrities reacting during her performance.

The two best renditions I’ve heard were:

1. Whitney Houston – the voice

1. Marvin Gaye

Two of the greatest soul singers to have ever walked this earth. Ms. Houston’s performance just might have you in tears (#pride). Marvin Gaye sang it so sweet, it almost sounded like a love song!

Some others include: Beyonce, Jennifer Hudson, Demi Lovato, P!nk, and Kelly Clarkson.

Fergie, it’s okay. Try again next year!

But in the meantime…welcome to the Hall of Failed National Anthems!

A Senior at York College of Pennsylvania, majoring in Political Science. I am a Gemini, I love the color green, reading and writing! I am so excited to be able to write for Her Campus. I hope to inspire and/or entertain all who read my articles!