lucas ludwig aRk7FZie1T4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
lucas ludwig aRk7FZie1T4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

How to Deal With a Breakup

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at YCP chapter.

What do you do after you feel like you lost the most important thing in your life?  Many of us have had the unfortunate pleasure of dealing with going from something to nothing. Here are some vital things to remember when dealing with a breakup. 

Do not beat yourself up over it.

People in life come and go, maybe they were not the “one”, but like they say there are plenty of fish in the sea. Try and move on and do not dwell on the past.

Rekindle old friendships.

Now that your life is not as busy as it was, you now have time for your other friends.  They will be there for you and help you. It is a time to catch up and make more pleasant memories.  

Find something to clear your mind.

If you have a hobby, invest your time into that.  Exercise, read, or focus more on your schoolwork. Not thinking about memories of you and them will help the healing process.  

Don’t hold onto anything that reminds you of them

Pack up anything that is theirs or you don’t think you can look at without having a heartbreak, then give it back to them or throw it out.  (Depending on how it is after the breakup)

Try not to obsess over them, and give each other some space.

Easier said than done. It will benefit the healing process if you are not constantly texting, calling, or looking at their social networks.  It will be difficult not talking everyday like usual, but maybe soon there can be friendship or at least a starting over process.

Maybe one day when there is less tension, there will be a silver lining and you can move on. You may have a second chance at love, or you may just decide to remain friends. Whatever you do, make sure that you’ve both had enough time to reflect and heal before making any decisions.

M V

YCP '16

Hi
Malaika is a senior public relations major who was born and raised in the Washington, DC metropolitan area. In addition to being a campus correspondent for Her Campus, she enjoys singing in YCP's acapella group Rhapsody, participating in the spring musicals and writing her own music while playing her guitar.