Dr. Pamela Gunter-Smith

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at YCP chapter.

Dr. Pamela Gunter-Smith started her time as president of York College in July of 2013. Since then, she has quickly become a star on campus. From dancing with the YCP Dance Team to waving a students whenever she walks across campus, Dr. G-S is passionate about York College.

From the very beginning, Dr. G-S felt that York was a “warm, caring place.” When asked about what she’s learned since she arrived at YCP, she says that “most of my initial impressions have been confirmed. The students are all happy to be here and they value connections, with faculty and friends.” Her goal as President is to keep those connections strong. “The students here are also very kind,” she says, “they hold the door for you and say hello on campus, that’s not something you see on every campus.” Dr. G-S has embraced the campus community, even learning from students, “don’t walk across Tyler Run, that algae is slippery!” she says with a laugh.

Ask any student and they can tell you how much she has made a difference on campus. Dr. G-S says students tell her that “having a president who is vocal and present is very refreshing.” Students had wanted a president who was visible and engaged to make York feel like home. So far, that’s been very effective. Just this past summer Johnson Dining Hall was given a facelift and students were ecstatic to see the change.

Dr. G-S has plenty of other plans to take YCP from being “great to greater” and students are ready to support her every step of the way.

Junior Public Relations major with dreams of tweeting for a living. Sister of Phi Mu. Avid Netflix watcher. Twitter: @thatshantastic Instagram: @hannah_g_b