3 Home Remedies to Use When You’re Sick

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at YCP chapter.

With winter on its way, it’s no surprise that you might be feeling a little under the weather. And although it can be somewhat effective, chicken noodle soup can only do so much. Here are some additional remedies that will help you recover in no time.

1. Drink tea

Not only will this keep you hydrated, but warm fluids like tea are crucial for clearing congestion. Some of the best teas to drink when you’re sick are ginger tea, lemon tea, and echinacea tea, which are known for their medicinal properties. Adding a bit of honey will help soothe your throat even more.

2. Gargle with salt water

It may be unpleasant at first, but gargling a saline solution can help clear a sore throat. Dissolve half a teaspoon of salt in a cup of hot water and gargle for about thirty seconds to start seeing results.

3. Take a hot bath or shower

This works even better when you leave the door closed so that steam will build up in the room. The humidity in the air will help with your breathing, and warm baths can help reduce fever. 

A Senior at York College of Pennsylvania, majoring in Political Science. I am a Gemini, I love the color green, reading and writing! I am so excited to be able to write for Her Campus. I hope to inspire and/or entertain all who read my articles!