Yale Sorority Recruitment 2012

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Yale chapter.

Monday, January 30th marked Yale Panhellenic Society’s bid night for Yale undergraduate women who are now officially a member of one of Yale’s three sororities on campus: Pi Beta Phi, Kappa Kappa Gamma, and Kappa Alpha Theta.

During recruitment, all three sororities prepared for the increase in number of underclassmen women who entered the 2012 process.  In 2011, 204 Yale women rushed a sorority, the largest rush group since sororities were established on campus in 1985.  As interest only seems to be increasing, Yale is considering adding a fourth sorority.  This may become a reality sooner than anticipated if interest continues to grow at such a rapid rate.

At Yale, Greek life is very different from that of larger universities where affiliation with a sorority may determine one’s social circle.  Not to say that certain stigmas don’t come with Greek lettered paraphernalia, but it is more than just a social outlet.  A sorority serves as a connection to a community of alumnae, a sisterhood that represents something larger than you.  Networking is a large part of the sorority experience.  With a connection to numerous Greek alumnae that hold positions at companies worldwide, sisters are able to extend a helping hand to undergrads in search of summer internships and first jobs.

Additionally, sorority life at Yale is much more low key compared to other colleges.  While it is still a great way to form new friendships and make new connections, affiliation with a sorority by no means limits your social circle or stigmatizes you as a “sorority girl.”

Sororities at Yale also devote much effort toward philanthropic work.  The Panhel sororities work together a few times a year to throw illustrious philanthropic events, such as the Midnight Kiss Life Haven benefit that was held on January 18th at Toads.

Yale’s sororities are recognized for high academic standing.  In fact, Yale’s chapter of Pi Beta Phi was honored with the 2nd highest GPA of any chapter in the country. 

A 2011 study conducted at the University of Missouri revealed some thought-provoking statistics about Greek Life:

Currently, there are over 400,000 active members of the Greek community nationwide.

Roughly 75% of current active Greeks are members of an athletic team.

All of the Apollo 11 astronauts were Greek affiliated.

40 Supreme Court Justices have been/are Greek.

Of the 50 largest corporations in North America, Greek affiliated men and women head 43.

30% of Fortune 500 has been Greek.

To those who have seen one of the many bad Hollywood depictions of Greek Life, the term “sorority” may call to mind images of Elle Woods and her friends doing something obnoxious.  This stereotypical depiction of the sorority girl is far from the reality of any of the women at Yale.  Greek affiliation can complement your social and academic life as well as serve as an opportunity to branch out to your peers. 

Jackie is a junior Sociology major at Yale University with a concentration in Gender studies. As a southern California native, she loves the sun, Mexican food, frozen yogurt, freeways and friendly strangers. Jackie plans to test out the rest of her early 20's on the east coast, but knows she will ultimately find herself back in the Los Angeles area. She spent the first half of last summer as a fashion intern near her home north of Los Angeles and the second half studying abroad in Prague. While interning, Jackie renewed her love of the fashion industry culture and affirmed her interest in pursuing fashion publications as a career. She had the time of her life in Prague and traveling throughout Europe where she was referred to as everything from "gypsy woman" to "Pocahontas" for her bohemian tribal style. Her fashion icons are Kate Hudson and Jessica Szohr. At Yale, Jackie pitched for the varsity women's softball team before suffering an elbow injury this year. In her spare time, Jackie enjoys thrift store shopping, running, and gossiping with her mom. Some of her obsessions include Starbucks cinnamon dolce lattes, Free People, Guide Dogs of America, baseball (Go Dodgers!), John Mayer and family.