Yale Campus Celebrity: Adlon Adams

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Yale chapter.

Adlon Adams (Davenport, 2015) is the president of Yale’s Kappa Kappa Gamma chapter. Read more to hear about Adlon’s role, her insight into Yale’s up and coming fourth sorority, and more!

Name: Adlon Adams

College and Year: Davenport 2015

Major:  History of Art  

Hometown: Wayzata, MN

HC: What extracurricular activities do you do at Yale?

AA: I have been lucky enough to participate in so many activities! I walked onto the hockey team my freshman year, found that I couldn’t handle the heat and ended up deciding to go with club sports. I’ve been on Yale women’s club soccer and the men’s club hockey team, but really excel on the IM circuit (Go Gnomes!). I’ve been a Staff Reporter for the Yale Daily news since freshman year with a focus mainly on sports. I currently work for the Yale athletics office as a broadcaster. If you ever have any questions about the Yale women’s soccer team or either of our hockey teams, I am definitely your girl.

HC: Tell us more about being the president of a sorority.

AA: I cannot express enough how rewarding it has been to be a part of Kappa, let alone the President of my chapter. Being President of a sorority is essentially like being the CEO of a small company. You are managing a group of 150+ girls in many different aspects, ranging from philanthropic work to sisterhood activities. The best part about being President is working with my sisters. It really is a group effort, and I couldn’t lead without the support of the other girls in the chapter. When I went through recruitment freshman year, I honestly did not know if I wanted to be in a sorority. When I joined Kappa my sophomore year, it was one of the best decisions I’ve made at Yale. Representing a large organization really makes you aware of your actions and how they affect other people. I’ve learned so much about working on a team and holding a leadership position, lessons that I know will help me throughout my entire life. Check out our website to learn more about Kappa! http://chapters.kappakappagamma.org/zetaxi/

HC: Do you plan to continue being involved with Kappa after graduation?

AA: Most definitely. Kappa has an amazing network of alumnae. We always like to say, “It’s not four years, it’s for life.” I had the opportunity to attend Kappa Kappa Gamma General Convention down in Houston, Texas this summer and had the time of my life. I met so many wonderful alumnae that have been involved for years. I’ve witnessed women receiving their 50 and 65-year pins, a moment of inspiration that I will hold onto. The sisterhood that is created during college only continues to grow throughout your life. Many of the girls I’ve met in Kappa I already know will be in my wedding party. Wherever I end up after school, I will definitely join an alumnae association. Time permitting, I would also be highly interested in advising a chapter.

HC: Tell us more about Yale’s up and coming fourth sorority.

AA: National Panhellenic Conference has a process for extension to bring a new NPC member organization to campus. Since Kappa Kappa Gamma, Kappa Alpha Theta and Pi Beta Phi are all members of NPC, the campus panhellenic has a process to follow to add a fourth sorority. We look forward to working collaboratively with Theta and Pi Phi on this process. It is my hope that every girl who wants to be in a sorority has the opportunity available to them. The Greek community adds yet another facet to Yale’s already diverse student body and an addiotional sorority will provide one more option for potential new members to consider. I’m so happy that our campus panhellenic is considering the addition of another group.

HC: Is it hard to manage your time between being the president of a sorority and your other activities?

AA: At first it was a bit of a struggle as I was trying to balance school, commentating, Kappa and my social life (not to mention having a long-term boyfriend). But once I got used to my new responsibilities it got better. Kappa is something that I love, so it never seems like a chore. There is a lot of work involved, but nothing I don’t enjoy doing. I always try to keep in mind that my mental well-being and my relationships with my friends and family are most important. Although Kappa is one of my top priorities, I find it important to keep the bigger picture at the forefront of my mind.

HC: Do you have any time managing tips for others with big extracurricular commitments?

AA: I’ve gotten into the habit of compartmentalizing. When I sit down to do homework I keep Kappa out of my mind, and vice versa. Having a concrete schedule is key to keeping organized. When you are at a meeting or event for an extracurricular, make sure that you are fully there. In essence, it all comes down to prioritization. Remembering to address issues in a timely manner in order of importance makes time management so much easier.

HC: Do you know what your plan for next year is?

AA: Don’t we all wish we knew the answer to this! What you realize as a senior answering these questoins is that there are so many possiblities and endless paths you could choose. The best part about being a senior is the possibility. There are so many fun things I could imagine myself doing. Throughout college I’ve participated in many different fields: I’ve worked at a strategic management firm, a radio company and an art auction house. My dream job is to be the voice of an NHL team as a play-by-play commentator. I will most likely move home for a bit and go from there. I am currently applying to some positions in the industry, so fingers crossed.