Valentine’s Day Special: Yale Men’s Swim and Dive

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Yale chapter.

Are you struggling to figure out what to do this Valentine’s day? Our Campus Cuties, Yale’s Swim and Dive team have got a few ideas for you. Turns out, when they need to impress someone, they can get pretty creative! Read their interview and prepare to be jealous that you didn’t book The Lodge for your hot date tomorrow night.

Cutest thing you’ve ever done for a significant other?

Cole Florey ‘14: One time in high school I found an old wooden fence post in a field, and for my significant other’s birthday, I inscribed a quote on it.

Oscar Miao ‘17: I bought a kitten for the significant other

Andrew Heymann ‘15: Went to NYC to get dinner and see a Broadway play

Nicholas Sehlinger ‘17: Wrote a Valentine’s day poem and slide it into her locker.  She loved it.

Alwin Firmansyah ‘15: I took her to Laguna Beach where I set up a spot to eat some small sandwiches and drink a bottle of cheap wine. I like to keep things simple. 

Kevin Stang ‘16: I cooked dinner for a girl on her birthday. 

William Yang ‘16: Made a flower out of paper and wrote a poem in it. 

Alex Goss ’17: Poked her on Facebook

Pat Killian ’14: So this wasn’t my significant other, but I think it counts. Jared Lovett ’13 and I once prepared a candlelight dinner at our house for a teammate and a girl. He wanted to do something special for her, so we tidied up the Lodge, set out a nice table, and cooked one fine Italian dinner of… steak and spaghetti, the two things we can competently cook. For dessert we outsourced to Claire’s. Jared and I doubled as waiters and spoke in Italian accents the whole time; we even sang “That’s Amore” at one point when the iPod broke. It was authentic, if nothing else.

Ronald Tsui ’15: This happened couple years ago. One day after school, I decided to wait outside my girlfriend’s apartment with a bouquet of roses just to give her a surprise. Pretty cheesy I would say, but she loved it.  

What would you give as a gift on Valentine’s Day?

Cole Florey ‘14: Homemade dinner.

Oscar Miao ‘17: a key to Saybrook college’s guest suite.

Andrew Heymann ‘15:  If I could give anything, I’d plan a hot air balloon ride.  Living on that college budget unfortunately.

Nicholas Sehlinger ‘17: Depends on the girl. Doing something is better than giving something.

Alwin Firmansyah ‘15: Nothing beats the classics, definitely a bouquet of roses and some chocolates.

Kevin Stang ‘16: Flowers and a box of chocolates. 

William Yang ‘16: This year, hot cocoa mix and a water boiler. It’s freaking cold. 

Alex Goss ’17: My soul

Pat Killian ‘14: I think Valentine’s Day is about making something. The one thing I’ve learned to do is carve a book: to hollow out the inside and patch it all so it still looks normal. This is the most successful gift I’ve ever given.

Ronald Tsui ’15: Chocolate. Most girls love sweets. 

Best date spot in New Haven?

Cole Florey ‘14: A walk to the Divinity School and/or East Rock accompanied by wine.

Oscar Miao ‘17: Saybrook college – guest suite

Andrew Heymann ‘15: Picnic on East Rock

Nicholas Sehlinger ‘17: Caseus or Barcelona

Alwin Firmansyah ‘15: Going up east rock

Kevin Stang ‘16: I really like Prime 16. It’s not causal or super formal and also has great food. 

William Yang ‘16: On roofs. At night. 

Alex Goss ’17: El Lodge Restaurante. The food is great, but the service makes it unforgettable.

Pat Killian ’14: Clearly, The Lodge.

Ronald Tsui ’15: El Lodge aka the Swim House. No doubt. We even offer the best dining option available in New Haven.

Which celeb would you want to spend Valentine’s Day with?

Cole Florey ‘14: This sounds like an incredibly awkward experience, but if I had to choose it would probably be a young Allen Ginsberg (played by James Franco).

Oscar Miao ‘17: Jake Goldstein

Andrew Heymann ‘15: Bethany Hamilton

Nicholas Sehlinger ‘17: Ariana Grande

Alwin Firmansyah ‘15: Margot Robbie

Kevin Stang ‘16: I would say Jennifer Lawrence. She’s hilarious and looks more down to earth and a lot of other celebrities. 

William Yang ‘16: Jennifer Lawrence cuz she’s hilarious

Alex Goss ’17: Taylor Swift, she has the voice of an angel.

Pat Killian ’14: Aubrey Plaza

Ronald Tsui ’15: Olivia Wilde

Yale girls are the best because…

Cole Florey ‘14: They like setting me up with guys!

Oscar Miao ‘17: They are smart and pretty.

Andrew Heymann ‘15: They’re intellectually driven and always fun to be around.

Nicholas Sehlinger ‘17: They’re smart and easy to talk to

Alwin Firmansyah ‘15: Cause they can hold an interesting conversation and look good doing it 

Kevin Stang ‘16: They are able to carry a conversation and are able to talk about more than just the party last night.

William Yang ‘16: They’re more strong-willed and independent, which brings out a lot of cool personalities. 

Alex Goss ’17: They’re all passionate about what they do.

Pat Killian ’14: They take the right things seriously and still have fun.

Ronald Tsui ’15: They will always be there to talk to, no matter how busy they are.