This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Yale chapter.

With your significant other:

1. Dinner date

This should be obvious, but a dinner date (somewhere other than Atticus, Panera, or Sushi on Chapel – spice it up) is always appreciated.  New Haven has so many different restaurants to choose from and Valentines Day is the perfect opportunity to try somewhere new.  Barcelona, Briq, Crown 116, Ibiza, Ordinary, Pacifico, Zaroka, Zinc and so many others are all great options within very close walking distance from campus.  If you want to be adventurous and take a cab then you can try some of the amazing Italian restaurants that are just out of walking distance like Skappo or Goodfellas.

2. Exchange gifts

Gifts don’t need to be big or expensive, but if you have a significant other, you never want to be empty handed on Valentine’s Day.  It doesn’t always have to be a tangible gift, but you are at least expected to come up with an experience that you and your significant other can share together. Couples massage, a concert, breakfast in bed, or even a promised date in the future in addition to the mandatory Valentines Day dinner are all good options.  If you haven’t seen it already, SNL’s recent commercial (http://www.hulu.com/watch/591805) has some useful ideas…

With your friends:

1. Chocolate Maya: 47 High Street

The new “wine-bar meets dessert shop” (see Chew Haven for the full review and pictures: http://chewhaven.com/2013/12/13/chocolat-maya/) has all you and your friends could ask for this Valentines Day. With countless chocolate, cake, tartine, and hot chocolate options as well as a selection of beer, wine, and specialty cocktails, there’s nothing not to like.  Close to campus and with cozy lounge seating, you can come to Chocolat Maya with just one friend or a big group!

2. Go out!

Fortunately, Valentines Day falls on a Friday this year so there will be a ton to do at night in New Haven – there’s really no excuse to stay in! 

3. Escape all of the adorable couples

If you and your friends are feeling lonely and sick of watching all of the cute couples on campus hold hands on their way to date night, go to a friend’s house for the night – you can all enjoy home cooked meals, cozy up in front of the TV and avoid all the reminders of Valentines Day. 

Solo:

1. Spend the day with Kevin Spacey

… By watching House of Cards Season 2.  Netflix is releasing all episodes of Season 2 of House of Cards on Valentines Day, which makes it the perfect show to binge watch all day.  Although you could also do this with your significant other or your friends, you really don’t want to risk distraction from the Frank Underwood-Zoe Barnes drama.  Also, check out the trailer (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBabKoHSErI) and get excited!

2. Catch up on your homework

It’s important to keep in mind that Valentines Day is just like any other day.  While everyone else is either spending time with their significant other or feeling sorry for themselves, you can seize the opportunity to catch up on all the work that you’ve been putting off for weeks.  Although this isn’t the most exciting option, you’ll definitely get your mind off Valentines Day and (hopefully) the PDA-prone library couples will have better places to be that day.