Sh*t Yale Girls Say

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Yale chapter.

In honor of the popular “Yale Memes” and the revolutionary SH*T (insert whatever stereotype you wish) SAY movement, I have decided to provide you with a compilation of statements that frequent the conversations between Yalies of the gentler sex.

WHITE GIRL PROBLEMS

“My Bioethics and Law textbook is so huge it doesn’t even fit in my Longchamp!”

“I lost my (insert expensive item) at Zeta last night.”

“People are too sensitive here.  I mean, I can’t even make racial jokes.”

“Want to shop it with me?”

“If you wear that without tights, you’ll look so Qpac.”

“My Yale ID photo is so embarrassing.”

“Let’s catch up.  Study date soon?”

“I got it at Urban, actually.”

“Let’s call a minibus.”

“I just want to dance!”

“I didn’t want to do anything so I told him I was on my period.”

“There are no attractive straight guys here.” 

DAMSELS IN DISTRESS (IN THE DINING HALL)

“ I wish I could eat that entire dish of cheese stuffed ravioli… It’s too bad I’m committed to a gluten free lifestyle now.”

“Is that vegan?”

“Are you kidding?  I love the tofu apple crisp!”

“I’m just so sick of the dining hall food.”

“I think Peggy hates me.”

“They call this coffee?”

“Oh my god, they have roasted cauliflower today!”

“Let’s do brunch this weekend.”

SH*T (FRESHMAN) GIRLS SAY

“It was so romantic, last night we were dancing at Toads…and then he kissed me!”

“Can I add him on facebook yet?”

“Are you a freshman?”

“What college are you in?”

“We should grab a meal together!”

“Yeah, he’s a junior.  Wait- you’ve hooked up with him, too?  And so did Laura… And Megan?”

GAY-DAR DENIAL

“I think I’m beginning to understand the full extent of Yale’s nickname the ‘Gay Ivy.’”

“Logistically speaking, how does he get into his jeans?”

“He’s not gay.  I mean, he’s in a capella but I swear, he just likes to….sing?”

“Straight guys at Yale—they are the 1%.”

“We hooked up last night, so he’s probably straight… right?”

“He’s out.  He’s just not out at home yet, or, like, officially.”

“He just wanted to cuddle….”

“Is he in SAE?”

“Maybe he’s just experimenting.”

“Maybe he’s just bisexual.  Or bicurious.”

“Okay, so he might be gay.  Do you think he would still want to date?”

“On the bright side, he wouldn’t pressure me into sex.”

“Do you think his glasses are prescription?”

Jackie is a junior Sociology major at Yale University with a concentration in Gender studies. As a southern California native, she loves the sun, Mexican food, frozen yogurt, freeways and friendly strangers. Jackie plans to test out the rest of her early 20's on the east coast, but knows she will ultimately find herself back in the Los Angeles area. She spent the first half of last summer as a fashion intern near her home north of Los Angeles and the second half studying abroad in Prague. While interning, Jackie renewed her love of the fashion industry culture and affirmed her interest in pursuing fashion publications as a career. She had the time of her life in Prague and traveling throughout Europe where she was referred to as everything from "gypsy woman" to "Pocahontas" for her bohemian tribal style. Her fashion icons are Kate Hudson and Jessica Szohr. At Yale, Jackie pitched for the varsity women's softball team before suffering an elbow injury this year. In her spare time, Jackie enjoys thrift store shopping, running, and gossiping with her mom. Some of her obsessions include Starbucks cinnamon dolce lattes, Free People, Guide Dogs of America, baseball (Go Dodgers!), John Mayer and family.