Kahlil Keys ’15

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Yale chapter.

Name: Kahlil Keys

Year: 2015

Hometown: Petaluma, CA (30 miles North of SF)

Residential College: Trumbull

Major: Political Science

You’ve probably seen this confident, friendly Campus Cutie playing football at the Yale Bowl or walking around campus flashing his unforgettable smile. Kahlil Keys, a junior in Trumbull, is spending the week gearing up and mentally preparing to face Harvard in “The Game” this weekend, and he’s fresh off having just broken a Yale record! Despite an outrageously busy schedule, Kahlil took the time to sit down with me at Blue State and tell me more about his exciting life at Yale, both on and off the football field.  Read below to find out more about this Cutie’s thoughts on The Game, his ideal date, tailgating outfits, his favorite Yale memories, and much more! Make sure to go support Kahlil and the rest of the Yale Bulldogs this weekend as they take on our biggest rival, Harvard, at the Yale Bowl!

What is your favorite aspect about playing Football at Yale?

It’s definitely the camaraderie formed in being a part of the team. The relationships that I’ve made with my teammates have helped me get through a lot over the past few years. Eating meals with these guys, staying with them over the holidays, just spending lots of time together. The thing about football is that it’s so physically and mentally demanding, you learn to get through it together. Going through the process with these guys makes it all worth it.

I heard you recently broke a record when you ran 94 yards to score a touchdown! Could you speak more about that?

It was very rewarding for me to have that happen, especially in my third year. I’ve been working so hard at practice and since being here at Yale, I haven’t had too many opportunities to play in actual games. We got our season off to a pretty good start with the Columbia game. So, the play started with us all being on our 6-yard line; I got the ball and tried to run fast, as fast as I could, trying to make a great play. I saw an opening in front of me (the dream as a running back is to have a wide open space in front of you as the ball is in your hands, it rarely happens) because our team was blocking so well.  The first thing on my mind was that I didn’t want to get caught, and so I took off. I got the touchdown and I actually didn’t know it was record until 30 minutes after the game was over, when there was a press conference and my play was mentioned. The whole thing didn’t really sink in until I got published in a lot of newspapers that following week and the record was getting a lot of attention in general. A lot of people back home were contacting me, like my past coaches, past teammates. I hadn’t been playing as much here as I’d hoped, so it was great and really cool.

Image from New Haven Register

What have been some of your favorite moments from “the game”?

My freshman year I was hurt, so I didn’t suit up for that Harvard-Yale game. I was still recovering from tearing my ACL, but it was still exciting to be there. The Bulldog Walk was really cool. The Bulldog Walk is when the Yale team walks from our locker room to the field, all together. While we make that walk, the Yale band was paying the drum line and cheering, and we were all holding hands as we walked out, past the cheering musicians and fans. The crowd for that game was unbelievable, it was so packed and great to see so many people out to support us at the Yale Bowl. We usually get around 15,000 fans at our home games, and freshman year, we had roughly 50,000 people in the stands for the Harvard game, cheering for us and what not. That was pretty much the only highlight of the Harvard-Yale game my freshman year, since we lost 45-7.

What are you most nervous about going into the Game this weekend?

I’m just trying to play relaxed this week. My family is coming out. It will be the first time that my mom and sister are seeing me play at Yale. My grandfather is coming out as well, which is the first time he’ll be watching me play in a college game. I’m trying to stay calm, do my assignments, and most importantly, have fun. If I get too worked up and intense, I won’t play as well as I can.

How has the Yale team done so far this season?

We got off to a really good start. The first three games we beat three teams we weren’t expected to beat. The fourth game in, we hit a speed bump and got away from what we had accomplished from the early season success. Later, we had some successes, and Brown was a really big success. Brown was a very big win because we hadn’t beaten them in a few years. They were a good team this year,  especially because of the large number of seniors on their team who were very experienced. But, thankfully, we had a dramatic win in the last few seconds. We had a really rough game at Princeton last weekend, as they are the league champions. We’re hoping to bounce back this weekend against Harvard.

What is your favorite tailgating outfit?

I’ve never been to a tailgate, so that’s a hard one. All I know is that the men’s lacrosse team has the best outfits. The guys on the lacrosse team are always at the front of the bulldog walk, screaming our names, wearing ridiculous outfits, having a blast. One guy was once wearing an inflatable chef suit, which was funny, and sometimes some even wear Halloween costumes.

What do you do the night before a big game?

After our meetings (we usually have meetings and a walk through the night before a game) I try to relax and get a good meal in. I watch some highlight videos of either me or favorite professional players and listen to music. In high school, I used to take bubble baths, but that’s not really a thing anymore.

Any personal pre-game rituals/habits?

I did in high school, but I just try to relax, be comfortable, and stay calm.

What organizations are you involved in on campus outside of football?

I work in the Athletic Department, in the Alumni Development office. I usually work three hours a week, so during season I will work around 5-7pm in the offices.

What’s your best Yale memory so far?

Hmm, I have a lot of good Yale memories. Spring fling both years has been amazing for me, definitely a highlight. I really enjoyed that both times. Also, the freshman holiday dinner in commons was great, I really enjoyed that.

Describe your ideal date.

My ideal date would definitely be doing something active. Maybe get a meal to begin with, and then do something active, like taking a hike, going ice-skating, or something else that is outdoors.

Any guilty pleasures?

I’m really into fashion. A lot of my friend’s make fun of me for that.

What’s a fun fact about yourself people at Yale wouldn’t know?

I really love singing. I love R&B, acoustic music; those are my two favorites. I’m a really big John Legend fan.

Where can we find you on a Saturday night?

I usually like to start my Saturday nights by pre-gaming with some friends, talking with a close group. I recently turned 21, so I like going to bars nowadays when I go out, especially some fun bars down on Crown Street. I am not a huge frat party guy, I prefer listening to music, dancing, and talking with friends. I try to expand more now that I’m 21. I do usually go out on Saturday nights, though.

What is your favorite place on campus?

I would have to say Old Campus is my favorite place on campus. A lot of times, I pass through when I need to go somewhere that might be in the opposite direction, just to sit down on one of the benches and relax, watch the squirrels run around. I just love being there, it brings back a lot of good memories.

Where do you see yourself in five or ten years?

I hope to be employed! (laughs). Recently, I am trying to figure out what I’m most passionate about. I definitely want to give back in some way. I could see myself being involved in the government and public policy profession. In ten years I want to be married, probably, thinking about having a kid at that point. By that time, I will probably be living back on the west coast. Most importantly, I want to make sure that I’m established in a career that is rewarding, and also something that I enjoy doing because I am passionate about it.

What’s the nicest thing you’ve ever done for a girl?

The nicest thing I’ve ever done for a girl was for the girl I was dating before I came to college. Someone took a picture of us, randomly, making a heart around our faces with their hands. I then turned the picture into a black and white version, typed up a poem, put it on the picture, framed it, and then gave it to her before we left.

Rapid Fire

Party Anthem:  This is how we do it by Montel Jordan

Favorite Movie: Hitch

Favorite Late Night Snack: Popcorn

Celeb Crush: Alicia Keys

*Yale girls are best because…

They are driven.