Kahlil Keys ’15

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Yale chapter.

Name:
Kahlil Keys

Hometown: Petaluma, California

College: Trumbull

Intended Major: English or Anthropology

As I walked in late to the interview I had scheduled, I spotted the adorable football player that had charmed me weeks earlier at ADPhi slumped in an overstuffed chair and clutching his coffee cup.  That night in the basement, I knew there was something special about him.  Not only was he killing it on the dance floor after boldly plugging in his own iPhone, but I’m fairly positive his smile was providing light to the entire room.  I had to know, so I walked up and asked, “I’m sorry, but where are you from?”

“California,” he smiled. 

I was in love.

HC: So you’re from California.  Tell us about what Yale has been like for you.  Any surprises?

KK: Well, I did a PG [post-graduate] year at Choate, so that helped with the transition.  If I hadn’t done that I probably would think this is cold.  That year got me used to people being more serious here and I got a taste of winter.  But yeah, I would say those are the two big differences, the people and the weather. 

HC: What is your favorite part about Yale so far?

KK: I’d say getting to know new people, the sort of people I would have never had the chance to meet.  Like for example, I have roommates from Ireland and Wales and I know people from Hong Kong now.  I would have never met people like that without a place like Yale.

HC: Where do you see yourself in 10 years?

KK: (laughing) 10 years?  That would make me 30… well, in the ideal situation I’d be established in a career, I’d be having my first kid right around that time, starting to get things together, and settling into a permanent residence. 

He pauses to contemplate.

KK: Is that specific enough?

HC: Oh yeah, I think you have a better grip on it than most.  So you play football here.  What else takes up your time or what else do you wish you had more time for?

KK:  This is going to sounds funny… but a cappella. 

HC: No way!  Do you have any experience with that?

KK:  No not really, singing is just something I enjoy doing.  I used to sing in church.  I didn’t rush because I knew I’d be overwhelmed, but maybe next year.

HC:  Would you actually consider rushing next year?

KK:  Yeah, actually.  I think I would.

HC:  What were you for Halloween?

KK:  I sort of slacked on the costume this year with the injury (Kahlil had ACL reconstruction surgery a few weeks ago).  I went to the Salvation Army, got a trench coat, and said I was a streaker.  And I didn’t wear anything under it. 

HC: What is your ideal date?

KK: On my idea date I’d probably like to go on a hike, do something where you can interact and get a taste of nature.  I wouldn’t want to go to a movie where it’s all quiet. 

HC:  Finish the following statement: Yale girls are the best because…

KK: They’re down to earth and don’t feel the need to conform to society’s standards. 

HC: Is there anything else Yale should know about you?

He thinks for a several seconds.

KK: That’s tough, because if I say no that makes me sound boring, but… not really.

HC: Any special awards you’ve won?

KK: (without hesitation) I won the Mr. GQ Award junior year of high school.

HC: What is that?

KK: It was basically an all-around beauty contest. There were intro, talent, and swimsuit parts. 

HC:  So this is round two for you then!  How did you get into that?

KK:  Yeah, (he laughs) I guess it is.  I didn’t want to do it at first.  It was my ex-girlfriend at the time that talked me into it.  And all my friends were like, “do it, do it, do it.”  It was pretty embarrassing.  I ended up having to wear a Speedo in an auditorium full with 600 people. 

We sort of wish we were there…

Jackie is a junior Sociology major at Yale University with a concentration in Gender studies. As a southern California native, she loves the sun, Mexican food, frozen yogurt, freeways and friendly strangers. Jackie plans to test out the rest of her early 20's on the east coast, but knows she will ultimately find herself back in the Los Angeles area. She spent the first half of last summer as a fashion intern near her home north of Los Angeles and the second half studying abroad in Prague. While interning, Jackie renewed her love of the fashion industry culture and affirmed her interest in pursuing fashion publications as a career. She had the time of her life in Prague and traveling throughout Europe where she was referred to as everything from "gypsy woman" to "Pocahontas" for her bohemian tribal style. Her fashion icons are Kate Hudson and Jessica Szohr. At Yale, Jackie pitched for the varsity women's softball team before suffering an elbow injury this year. In her spare time, Jackie enjoys thrift store shopping, running, and gossiping with her mom. Some of her obsessions include Starbucks cinnamon dolce lattes, Free People, Guide Dogs of America, baseball (Go Dodgers!), John Mayer and family.