John Sununu ’15

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Yale chapter.

Class: Class of 2015

College: Saybrook

Major: French and Economics

Hometown: Boston, MA

This week’s Her Campus Cutie, John Sununu, is one of Yale’s most exciting, intelligent, outgoing, and talented young men.  A current junior in Saybrook, John splits his time between double majoring in French and Economics, acting as Head Delegate for MUNTY, taking classes at one of Yale’s graduate schools, and reading the latest issues of The Economist and Interview from start to finish. Secretly a down-to-earth guy from New Hampshire, John lights up every room he enters and warms the heart of anyone he meets. HerCampus was able to catch up with John in the midst of his hectic schedule, so read below to get a better sense of what’s been going on in his exciting, adventurous life!  

HC: What are you involved in on campus?

Right now, I’m the head delegate of MUNTY, which is the Model UN Team at Yale.  We travel to several conferences in the US each semester and are going to Brussels in the spring for an international competition.  I also edit L’Amuse-Bouche, the French literature journal on campus.

HC: What has been your favorite experience outside of Yale?

Between sophomore and junior year of high school, I spent the summer in Ethiopia and Ghana and fell in love with where I was staying.  I got to spend lots of time in hospitals and orphanages and talking to different government workers on the ground, and it pushed me towards pursuing scientific and policy research when I returned back to the US. The food and the sunny weather made it feel like home.

HC: What is your favorite place in New Haven?

Maybe Union Station – it’s my gateway to New Haven!  The building is so grand and imposing and looks even more stunning when lit up at night.  I like the hammock in TD courtyard, too … used to fall asleep there on my way back from class.  And 116 Crown for the food and drinks.  And my apartment on campus!  It’s the happiest place in New Haven after a long day.

HC: What is your favorite aspect of Yale?

I love the way Yale is laid out within New Haven.  The school and the downtown area melt into each other seamlessly.  I can walk from where I live to my friend’s suite and pass by a coffee shop, a magazine store, the gates to Old Campus, college courtyards, Mory’s, the Law School, freshmen playing Frisbee near WLH, a pizza place, my barbershop, and a film center before arriving!

HC: What has been your favorite class at Yale?

A history seminar called Quebec and Canada with Jay Gitlin.  We took a trip to a French-Canadian diner and ate sugar pie.  What else could you want out of a class?

HC: Why did you decide to also major in French?

It was the other way around, actually – I had my heart set on French before I thought about what else to study.  It’s good for my soul, I think, because it keeps me happy.  Before I came to Yale, I read a book called French Lessons written by a Yale professor who talked about how learning French changed her life.  I remember being so excited, like, “hey, wait, that’s like me!”

HC: If you could live anywhere in the world, where would it be?

I think now, when I’m young, I could live anywhere in the world!  But when I get older, part of me knows I’ll probably want to move back to New England somewhere.

HC: Rumor has it you speak several languages?

Well, I took Portuguese for several years in high school and my first two years at Yale.  A lot of my father’s family speaks Spanish – his godmother lives in Spain, too – and I did this crazy German immersion thing one summer.

HC: What is the most creative thing you’ve ever done?

When I was seven or eight, I went through an origami phase.  After my cousin announced she was engaged, I sent them a box of folded paper cranes for good luck!

HC: When you were a kid, what did you want to be when you grew up?

A chef – I used to wear my chef’s hat around the house and help cook dinner.

HC: What is your favorite book and why?

Mrs. Dalloway by Virginia Woolf – it flows and swells and builds and stays with you long after you finish it.

HC: Who is your favorite celebrity and why?

Kate Moss – she has a beautiful career and transitioned seamlessly into raising a beautiful daughter.

HC: What are five things you couldn’t live without?

Strong coffee, my family, Lana Del Rey, my teddy bear, and Paris.

HC: Who is your inspiration?                                     

My parents!  I give them a hard time now and then, but they’re happy and kind and I think they have it all figured out.

HC: Describe your ideal date?

Takeout and great conversation and gin and falling down a lot.  Something when the sky is clear and bright – like an outdoor movie!  Anything that ends with a back rub, though, gets a stamp in my book.

HC: Any guilty pleasures?             

Wenzels and Harper’s Bazaar.

HC: Where can we find you on a Saturday night?

Probably at Rudy’s, Toad’s, or GHeav.

HC: What is something people probably don’t know about you?

I can sail well and love it!

Rapid Fire

Party Anthem: I’m On a Roll

Party Theme: ABC

Favorite Movie: Lost in Translation

Most fashionable celebrity: Diane Kruger

Favorite TV show: Downton Abbey

Celeb Crush: Scarlett Johansson

*Yale girls are best because…

They’re funny, down to earth, and still kick ass at beer pong.