Instagram: Why These College Women Aren’t On It

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Yale chapter.

Instagram: some love it, some hate it, some hate it but can’t live without it, Though an undeniably fantastic medium for self-expression and global awareness towards important issues, it is doubtless that the photo-sharing app can inadvertently spur cases of hate comments, body shaming, competition and comparison among users, and a mentality that demands others’ praise and approval. The app has recently taken strides towards amending the problems many users criticize, especially through their controversial decision to hide likes on posts. Is this change enough? Here are three college women on why they won’t be posting anytime soon. 

Question 1: Why do you not have Instagram?

Student 1: I used to have Instagram, and when I broke up with my boyfriend of 4 years, I decided to delete it. I thought that if I had instagram, I would constantly be checking his page, so I deleted it for healing purposes. I always thought I would re-download it, but I just haven’t. My account is still active, so I haven’t officially closed the door but I don’t think I will be getting it back anytime soon. The reason I decided not to re-download it is because I feel like I’m happier without it. I feel more present when I’m out with people, and I think I am less concerned about what others think of me. 

Student 2: Instagram felt like this really competitive zone— whether you’re getting likes, or comments, etc. I know likes are invisible now, but I never really had Instagram to begin with, so I don’t miss not having it. I don’t feel the need to have a huge online presence, and I think not having Instagram just helps me to feel more secure about myself.

Student 3: I don’t have an Instagram because I don’t really take pictures of myself that often and I didn’t want to feel pressure to take more. Also, I thought I’d get pretty distracted.

Question 2: Do you ever feel pressured to download the app?

Student 1: Sometimes, yeah. I have been involved in a lot of student leadership throughout college and I’ve met so many people. I think that Instagram might make me more connected to those people, especially those that I have mentored. I have Facebook that I use from time to time for personal and professional use, but it’s not something that a lot of college students will actively use. I think that instagram might make me more accessible to people who want to reach out to me (even though I gave my orientation students all my email, I think students are less inclined to reach out to each other this way.) Also, I do miss seeing pictures of friends that aren’t in college with me.

Student 2: Not anymore. When I was in middle school and high school, I definitely felt pressure to get the app, and for a while I had a finsta, but I think the pressure to maintain Instagram is greater than the pressure to download the app.

Student 3: Yeah I have friends who have told me to download Instagram so I can follow their travel experiences and stuff like that. I guess I don’t feel particularly pressured, but I feel like I’m missing out sometimes.

Question 3: What is one thing Instagram could change about itself that would make you get it?

Student 1: Maybe if likes weren’t a thing? I think when I had Instagram I really cared about my “numbers” and would even delete a picture if it didn’t have enough likes. I think it would be nice to see friend’s pictures and share your pictures to friends without the pressure of reaching a certain number.

Student 2: I’m not sure there’s anything new the actual app could do (again, the invisible likes are a really big step but I’m not sure where they can go from there). I guess I would say it’s most important that people just use the app to express themselves instead of trying to put a certain aesthetic or lifestyle over others.

Student 3: I guess making the app less time-consuming/addicting would make me consider getting it. But given that FB/insta’s whole revenue model is based on addiction and keeping people scrolling this’ll never actually happen.

Question 4: What is the worst thing about Instagram culture? The best thing?

Student 1: Worst: I think that people act like a different person in order to get likes. People post the best version of themselves and it creates pressure to look a certain way. I certainly have felt the pressure and it makes me sad that there are lots of young kids who are pressured to look “perfect.” I also think it makes people less present in the moment.

Best: I think it allows you to keep in touch with people that you don’t see in person and it’s fun to see what other people are up to.

Student 2: Worst thing— I think a lot of time Instagram puts unrealistic beauty standards forward, and normalizes a lot of things that aren’t healthy (at the same time they criminalize things that are normal, like the nipple ban for women only). But Instagram also has some really great aspects— it gives people access to so many new things. Instagram lets you stumble across new places, peoples, cultures and movements that so many people wouldn’t otherwise see, and it facilitates a lot of really important connections.

Student 3: The worst thing about Instagram culture is that people might base their self-worth on aesthetics and how popular they are. The best thing is the ability to connect with people in other places and follow their life experiences.

Shannon Linder is a senior English major at Yale University from the Pacific Northwest. On campus, you’ll find her performing and choreographing for a campus dance group, singing karaoke with friends, or planning her next outdoor adventure.
Emma Gray

Yale '21

My name is Emma Gray and I am the President and Campus Correspondent for Yale's Her Campus chapter. I am a Sophomore in Saybrook and I am planning on majoring in European History. I am passionate about universal health education and about criminal justice reform. In my free time I love going to the Yale Center for British Art and watching The Office. I am excited to start working with our new team!