This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Yale chapter.

Now that the weather reflects your chilly soul, it’s time to hunker down and enjoy the cold, dark, sad period that follows Halloweek and precedes Thanksgiving Break. Here are some tried and true tips and tricks to surviving the Post-Halloweek Blues.

1. Cry

The objectively best time of the year is over. What better to do than let out your sorrows with a good old fashioned cry sesh. Best paired with: venti Starbucks and a Canvas notification that your midterm grade is in! Yay!

2. Bundle up in your winter coat

Now that the weather has dropped below 71 degrees, you realize it’s time to take your coat out of retirement. The cold hits you harder now and hurts your bones more and more the closer you get to being able to legally drink a nice gin and tonic in front of your fireplace in your large New England mansion dorm room. 

3. Do 1 (one) reading! 

Productivity feels good. Good enough to be satisfied with only doing one reading! This is fine. You’ve hit today’s quota. Reward yourself with some chocolate and an Instagram stalk.

4. Participate in a paid psychology study ($$$$$)

Your $60 Halloween costume has hit your bank account hard. Earn that cash back five dollars at a time and learn some valuable information about your psyche! Spooky. 

5. Buy the half-off Halloween candy

This is a bargain. It’s not the time to think about the calorie count OR your dentist bill. What other time of year can you clear out the candy aisle at your local pharmacy, and not get weird looks from the cashier? It doesn’t matter if all that’s left are Whoppers. It’s the principle. 

6. Drunkenly*** apply to more internships

***Although you must be 21 years of age or older to drink in the state of Connecticut, company rejection letters have no age limit! 

7. Imagine a better future.

It will come, my darlings, it will come. In approximately 3 weeks. In approximately 4 weeks, keep an eye out for a very similar article dealing with how to survive Post-Thanksgiving Break! 

In all seriousness, the week after Halloween can be sad. Take care of yourselves! You deserve a well-earned break where you can sit back, relax, catch up on sleep and homework, and get stuff done. You got this.

Shannon Linder is a senior English major at Yale University from the Pacific Northwest. On campus, you’ll find her performing and choreographing for a campus dance group, singing karaoke with friends, or planning her next outdoor adventure.
Emma Gray

Yale '21

My name is Emma Gray and I am the President and Campus Correspondent for Yale's Her Campus chapter. I am a Sophomore in Saybrook and I am planning on majoring in European History. I am passionate about universal health education and about criminal justice reform. In my free time I love going to the Yale Center for British Art and watching The Office. I am excited to start working with our new team!