A Guide to Froyo at Yale: Froyo World vs Flavors

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Yale chapter.

Frozen yogurt is as popular as ever with the Yale student body, as the phrase “Froyo later?” is quickly becoming synonymous with the timeless classic, “Let’s grab a meal sometime!” Somehow frozen yogurt still remains as appealing as ever, even when temperatures are barely hitting twenty degrees. It is fair to say that there is a definite froyo culture (pun unintended) that delights many students and New Haven citizens alike on a daily basis. Armed with earmuffs, scarves and insulated puffy vests to brace the biting cold, there is only one remaining problem to solve.  Flavors or Froyo World?  For this week’s This or That, we take a look at the two most popular places on campus to satisfy your frozen yogurt sweet tooth.

Location:

Sometimes we are simply looking for convenience and instant gratification. If choosing your frozen yogurt destination is simply a matter of proximity, then your choice becomes much easier! Located at 290 York Street neighboring Toad’s and Yorkside, Flavors is a short walk for students near Morse, Trumbull and Saybrook.  Froyo World, on the other hand, sits at 46 High Street directly across the street from Starbucks.  This would be most convenient for students living on Old Campus or who are running errands around the southern part of campus.  Flavors and Froyo World are relatively close to each other on campus, which definitely explains their competition with each other.

Yogurt:

Frozen Yogurt is absolutely delicious and easy for stores to produce.  This being said, a simple imperfection becomes extremely noticeable.  As far as consistency goes, the general consensus is that Froyo World has creamier yogurt while Flavors, although still delicious, can sometimes be watery (especially the cookies and cream).  However, Flavors does offer a large variety of selections (hence, its name) and its recent addition of mint was a huge fan favorite.  However, the Vanilla at Froyo World tastes virtually the same as soft-serve ice cream, which serves as a perfect base for toppings.  Both Flavors and Froyo World switch up their selections frequently and I would say that the variety is equally diverse at both locations.  However, as far as consistency and texture goes, Froyo World takes the cake.

Toppings:

You can have great yogurt, but this is worthless if toppings aren’t equally as delectable.  Luckily, the topping selections at Flavors and Froyo World are both sublime. Both locations boast ample stocks of fruit, candy, and other various options to decorate your dish. In terms of fruit, Flavors wins the battle.  Flavors offers blueberries, blackberries, strawberries and more to add some healthy sweetness to your dessert.  Froyo World, on the other hand, excels in providing a larger variety of options to choose from.  They offer Lucky Charms, sour gummy worms and the ever so popular Cinnamon Toast Crunch.  In terms of fruit, Flavors is the winner.  However, Froyo World levels the playing field with their delicious and diverse variety.

Price:

Yogurt at these two establishments is around the same price, but they each have different policies regarding discounts.  Froyo World offers a points card that is basically the equivalent of frequent flyer miles.  With each purchase, the cashier credits your card with points that can be spent at any time with a purchase. Flavors, by contrast, has been famous for their stamp cards.  With every purchase at Flavors, you can have your card stamped once.  Collect 10 stamps and your next frozen yogurt is free! However, much to the disappointment of loyal customers, Flavors has recently stopped giving away these cards.  This definitely tips the scale in Froyo World’s favor.

Atmosphere:

One of the most prominent qualities of a Froyo hot spot is its spontaneous consumer activity.  One second, the store could be virtually empty and the next it is packed to capacity.  This is especially noticeable in Froyo World. There are about 8 seats in this tiny venue, along with four seats along the window. It is serene to sit with friends when the store is relatively empty; however, it becomes uncomfortable and claustrophobic the second that people rush through the entrance.  Flavors, on the other hand, is much larger and relaxing.  There is always fun and uplifting music playing in the background and the store is much larger overall. This is definitely the place to be if you want to catch up with a group of friends and truly enjoy your dessert. I would definitely say that Flavors has a better atmosphere with a much less claustrophobic feel.