Career

Five Practical Tips for Landing a Summer Internship

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Yale chapter.

Yale has many great perks. Summer internship mania is not one of them. 

If you are anything like most Yale students, you have likely spent the last couple of weeks (or months) thinking about the perfect summer internship. Whether you’ve already started your application process or are just now beginning your search, I have compiled five very practical tips to help you with the process.

1. Reach out to the career strategy office

Seriously. Though most of us likely cringe at the thought of asking for outside help, the Office of Career Strategy at Yale is the perfect place to get assistance with not only finding some great opportunities but also with drafting your applications. 

2. Ask your friends

This may be a bit tricky if you are someone who likes to keep their plans private, but talking to your friends about their past experiences can help you get some great ideas of where to apply.

3. Send cold emails

Cold emailing is the best option for organizations that you would love to work for but do not have a formal application process. Throughout my time at college, I have found most places would love the extra help even if they have not specifically advertised it. 

4. Use those LinkedIn connections

Yes, I know, LinkedIn can be a scary place that sometimes feels like an excuse for competition, however making connections on the website can be a great place to start when looking for new opportunities. 

5. Talk to your professors 

More than likely, you have had a professor that has been working in your field of interest for many years. Reaching out to them can be an amazing way to get some advice for where to apply and may even come in handy if you need help with drafting your application and supplements. 

Now, go and put yourself out there!  

Chloe is a Senior majoring in Political Science with a concentration in race, law, and human rights at Yale University. When she is not writing for HerCampus, she can be found doing yoga, drinking tea, and napping...a lot.
Shannon Linder is a senior English major at Yale University from the Pacific Northwest. On campus, you’ll find her performing and choreographing for a campus dance group, singing karaoke with friends, or planning her next outdoor adventure.