Campus Celebrity: Maia Eliscovich Sigal

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Yale chapter.

Maia Eliscovich Sigal (Timothy Dwight, 2016) was featured in MSNBC’s Women in Politics college edition last spring. Read more to hear about the article, her continuation with politics on campus, and more!

Name: Maia Eliscovich Sigal

College: Timothy Dwight, 2016

Major:  Economics

Hometown: Buenos Aires, Argentina

HC: When did you become interested in politics and what or who was your biggest influence?

MES: I have loved student government since I was very young. I believe in the power of student voice, and I think it is a great way to affect the environment you live in.  I think much of what made me so interested in politics was living in countries with very weak political systems.  I grew up and studied in two different countries with different political atmospheres—Ecuador until 2007, then Argentina. I personally witnessed two coups d’état, at age seven and twelve. I remember in 2005 when I could not get out of school because of the turmoil, and nobody knew what was going to happen next because the president had just been overthrown. I realized that I would rather live in a country that is respectful of the institutions than one that is impregnated with authoritarianism and populism. I feel much more comfortable and creative in a place where freedom is respected, powers are independent, and justice is guaranteed—and I want to be part of that process.

HC: Tell us about your extracurricular activities at Yale.

MES: I am very involved in Yale College Council. I started my freshman year as Freshman Class Council representative, then was the Student Life Chair for the YCC my sophomore year, and I became the Vice President last May. Besides that, I have been involved in Orientation for International Students this year as a Head Counselor and last year as a counselor. I also was involved in Timothy Dwight Student Activity Council and Hillel Board.

HC: What responsibility do you have as Yale College Council VP?

MES: I am mostly in charge of internal affairs of YCC: what representatives are doing which project, who is assigned for each committee, or how we are doing in terms of accomplishing what we propose.  I also manage the Council meetings, and help the President in diverse affairs with administrators and the student body. To describe our roles, Michael Herbert  (the YCC President) says that he is the president of the student body, and I am the president of the YCC.

HC: Tell us about being a leader on Yale campus in comparison to your previous experience.

MES: Yale is a great place to be part of student government. I have met amazing people, who are extremely dedicated, and who like to contribute for the public good. I also find that it is a campus where people care about what you do and how you do it—something that is vital to keep us, at YCC, busy and engaged. For example, YCC would not have to host a referendum (like the one I helped organize last year, for Fossil Free Yale) if there were not students as motivated and energetic as there are on campus. Similarly, it helps to have students with critical thinking that can point out what is not working and what could be improved.

HC: Do you have any tips for other women interested in politics at Yale?

MES: I would say that being involved in politics is more about presence and consistency than anything else. If you think you would like to help, and that you could do something positive, then you have to show up to meetings, run in elections, and talk to people. Showing up, as Woody Allen said, is 80% of success. If you are engaged, chances are you are going to end up liking what you do and be good at it.

HC: Why did you choose Yale? Was it for the leadership opportunities?

MES: I visited fourteen schools (in two weeks!) before deciding to apply early to Yale. One of my close friends was here, and through him I met a lot of Yalies and was fascinated by their energy and friendliness. I loved the community, and was really eager to be part of it.  

Check out Maia’s MSNBC feature at http://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/women-politics-college-edition-yale-university