5 Reasons Why You Should Study Abroad This Summer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Yale chapter.

When young pre-frosh Shannon imagined her Yale career, studying abroad wasn’t even on her radar. A.) it was expensive, B.) it was intimidating, and C.) IT WAS EXPENSIVE. Zoom ahead two years, and she’s strolling the streets of Paris with a fresh baguette in one hand and a chocolate gelato in the other (true story). If one looked up “living her best life” in the dictionary, a picture of me on my study abroad trip would most definitely appear. In the wake of summer study abroad application season (Yale Summer Session apps are due on February 15th!), here are 5 reasons why you can and should study abroad this summer. 

This year, the International Summer Award (ISA) has been expanded.

Every eligible Yale student can be rewarded one International Summer Award to fund one summer study abroad experience. Yes, you heard correctly. According to the YDN, the Center for International and Professional Experience (CIPE) has increased the award cap for the ISA by $2000 (from $12,500 to $14,500)!!! Check out the CIPE website for more information about how the ISA is calculated and how you can apply today! 

You get A LOT of class credit. 

In Paris, I had class two days a week for five weeks and got two full class credits. Yes, TWO. Granted, classes were three hours long and we had excursions many times during the trip. However, the excursions were to places like the Louvre, Monet’s gardens, and the Musee d’Orsay. Basically everywhere I would have wanted to go anyway. It’s like getting credit for going on the most incredible, all-encompassing vacation of your life (with a few homework assignments along the way). This means that for the rest of my Yale career, I only have to take four classes per semester!

You don’t have to miss any Yale time. 

One of my biggest concerns with a semester abroad was losing out on the extracurriculars I care most about. When you study abroad over the summer, you get to have your cake and eat it too. Also, because most Yale programs are only five weeks long (some are longer, some are shorter), you will still have time over the summer to pursue other things or spend time with your family! 

The program selections are niche and AMAZING.

Because of Yale Summer Session, there is a ridiculously wide range of academic subjects offered as study abroad courses. They’re all themed, as well. For example, I studied Belle Époque literature and art history in Paris. You could study public health in Argentina, film in Prague, architecture in Rome, economics in London, languages all over the world, and many more. Check out the Yale Study Abroad site to see a complete list of program offerings. 

Your life will honestly be changed.

I know there are countless memes about people who come back from studying abroad and suddenly have found themselves. But, in all honesty, it’s true. As someone who hadn’t really traveled internationally at all before this experience, I felt somehow different after spending time in another country for a month. Spending time in a country different from your own is an invaluable experience that shapes your world view and exposes you to all new ways of living and interacting with the world. 

Go forth and apply! 

Shannon Linder is a senior English major at Yale University from the Pacific Northwest. On campus, you’ll find her performing and choreographing for a campus dance group, singing karaoke with friends, or planning her next outdoor adventure.
Clara is a Junior at Yale University majoring in history. She is from Washington D.C. In her free time, Clara does creative writing. She is also a lover of world, particularly African, literature and art projects (we're talking glue, glitter and whatever other materials are around).