3 Tips For The Perfect Winter Boots

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Yale chapter.

Winter has officially arrived on campus; and Yale students are commemorating the event left and right. From the Freshman Snowball Fight on Old Campus to the endless amount of snow-covered Sterling Memorial Library pictures on Instagram, the powder has brought much excitement. Students from warmer climates, many of whom have never truly experienced snow, are in awe of the fun that it can bring! The real question, however, that many of these students are asking is: what type of shoes do I wear in this weather? HerCampus Yale will give you all of the details.

First off, the most important aspect of shoewear for this time of year is warmth. A friend of mine here on campus made the mistake of wearing L.L.Bean boots without any lining during the blizzard. She came into Bass Café literally shivering from head to toe. While I prefer Sorel boots for the winter, L.L. Bean ones can work, as long as you order those that have an inner lining. In addition, investing in a pair of boot socks is not a bad idea. They come in handy for truly cold days, when your feet need an extra layer of warmth to make it up Science Hill.

Secondly, height is key. While short boots may pass day-to-day, having to walk through unplowed snow piles will quickly prove them useless. Snow easily falls into short boots, making feet cold and wet. I therefore suggest buying ones that come at least to the mid-calf, if not all the way to the knee. With higher boots, you can trudge your way across campus while keeping your feet warm and dry!