This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Xavier chapter.

CHAARG. No that’s not a typo, it’s an acronym.

It stands for “changing health attitudes and actions to recreate girls,” and it’s pronounced like ‘charge.’ This movement started in 2012 and is coming to college campuses across the nation to “liberate girls from the elliptical” and promote a healthy lifestyle. By introducing and teaching different types of workouts, CHAARG promotes a fit and healthy lifestyle for college girls and helps them be the best version of themselves.

It started right here in Ohio at The Ohio State University by a girl named Elisabeth Tavierne. She swam for Ohio State, but one day decided she didn’t want to swim anymore. After stepping down from the college athlete life, she still kept up a workout routine by going to the campus gym. This is where she realized something that would be the base of her career in CHAARG. She observed that girls would come into the gym, hop on the elliptical for thirty minutes, then leave, while boys would dominate the weight room. And CHAARG was born. After creating a chapter at OSU, the CHAARG movement spread to college campuses across the United States, and now has 29 campus chapters and a virtual chapter for the people that want to be in CHAARG but don’t have a chapter at their campus yet.  

The Xavier chapter started in spring of 2014, and is only growing in size. It is said to almost be like a “fitness sorority,” because it is a group of girls that choose to grow with and encourage each other to be better versions of themselves. Every Tuesday night is CHAARG’s main events or Studio Spotlights. The chapter goes to a fitness studio in the area doing anything and everything, such as boxing, jazzercise, boot camp and many others. As well as the main events, there are small groups that also meet once a week. The small group is lead by one of the executive board members of that chapter, and they can get together and do whatever workout they want. There are also national events that all chapters can be apart of together such as FitPlans, RunCHAARG, and CHAARGmas. This allows all chapters to intermingle and connect. 

CHAARG is an movement for college women who may have never worked out before in their lives and really get physical and learn how to lead and grow in a healthy lifestyle. So take CHAARG of your life and join CHAARG.

To get more information about Xavier CHAARG or if you want to join, email xuchaarg@gmail.com.

To get more information about the national CHAARG visit http://chaarg.com/

Sara is a Sophomore Public Relations major with a double minor in Political Communications and Business at Xavier University. She is also involved with an acapella group, Acabellas, and the Center for Faith and Justice on campus. She loves all dogs, dark chocolate, and inspirational quotes. 
Brittany is a senior accounting major from Saint Louis, Missouri and is a Campus Correspondent for Xavier University. When not organizing Her Campus Xavier, she can be found working with Tedx Xavier University or Xavier Women in Business. She  wishes she could spend all of her free time with puppies.