Why Jess is Rory Gilmore’s True Soulmate

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Xavier chapter.

Okay lets get real here, Rory Gilmore had some of the best boyfriends that we could dream of. Smart, loving, and handsome; who could say no? But out of her three major relationships, we have to say Jess Mariano is truly her soul mate… and we can back it up.

We’ll start off by looking at the guys who AREN’T right for Rory. First up, Dean. Oh sweet Dean: such a tall and caring guy. Like Lorelei said, he was an amazing first boyfriend! He was someone who really cared about her, and he will always carry a torch for Rory (so much so that she lost her virginity to him while he was married to Lindsey – but that’s a whole other story). In the end, though, he wasn’t adventurous enough for her. His small town personality would have made it hard for them to really take the next big step in their relationship. Though we are so glad that that it was Dean who was her first BF, both him and Rory will be better off with someone else. 

And then we move on to Logan Huntzberger, the gorgeous man who spoiled Rory (of course she loved it, what girl wouldn’t?). Even though Logan was a smart, adventurous, and super witty guy, he was also arrogant, entitled, and a little vain. This does not match up with Rory’s personality at all. They had so many struggles through out their relationship (boat stealing, dropping out of Yale, rift with Lorelei, sleeping with bridesmaids…). While they did work though all their struggles, this is just not Rory. Too much drama. 

But finally comes our love: Jess Mariano. We have to start off by saying that when Rory and Jess first met, they both had a lot of growing up to do. Jess had an “f-off world” attitude and the angel Rory was just trying to keep her head above water at Chilton. So, Jess and Rory really only had a chance at love after they both had a good grasp on who they were. Rory was at Yale doing well and Jess had just published a book! They both were on the same level at that point. Even though they never got together before the show ended, we do believe that Jess and Rory would have ended up together. He was just adventurous enough for her and could see when she was not being true to herself (like when she quit Yale). She was a rock for him, kept him grounded, and pointed him in the right direction.

There are so many things that we love about Dean (like how he built Rory a car) and Logan (like how he wanted to spend the rest of his life with her), but Jess Mariano was the best suited man for Rory. He knew her from the beginning and matured with her. So we do hope that Amy Sherman-Palladino can agree with us that Jess and Rory really are soul mates.

Hopefully we will see where Rory’s (and Lorelei’s) love life goes when the four 90 minute episodes come out! Who else is pumped? We are!

Sources, 1, 2, 3, 4.

Sara is a Sophomore Public Relations major with a double minor in Political Communications and Business at Xavier University. She is also involved with an acapella group, Acabellas, and the Center for Faith and Justice on campus. She loves all dogs, dark chocolate, and inspirational quotes. 
Danielle Curtis is a Junior at Xavier University and is HCXU's Campus Correspondent. She is majoring in English with minors in media studies and writing. She loves traveling, reading, and watching videos of failed marriage proposals.