jamie street KaAiThQZrGU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jamie street KaAiThQZrGU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Xavier chapter.

Everyone has a favorite season, and mine is fall. If you know me, I absolutely love fall. Here’s why.

1. Halloween

Fall is also considered the Spooky (or Spoopy) season, and Halloween is one of the most fun times of the year. Everyone dresses up in costume and then there’s Halloweekend when many Halloween parties are thrown. And bonus, Halloween candy is on sale right after October 31st is over!

2. Thanksgiving

Another holiday that takes place in fall is Thanksgiving. I personally only like Thanksgiving because I know I get to a delicious homemade meal. Being home for the holidays is another plus.

3. The leaves

I love the changing color of the leaves during this season. I think the reds, oranges, and yellows make an aesthetically pleasing background for an Instagram picture. I also really like making leaf piles and jumping in them; the crunching noise is music to my ears.

4. Pumpkin patches

I absolutely love pumpkins! I love how round they are, how orange they are, and that you can make pumpkin pie out of them. I love going to places with pumpkin patches, hay rides, and corn mazes. Looking for the perfect pumpkin to carve later is always a fun activity for me. Hayrides are just fun because I get to see horses, plus my boyfriend is allergic to hay, so why not torture him into riding one with me? I love getting lost in corn mazes because I think it makes for a fun adventure and later, a funny story to tell.

5. It’s The Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown

If you don’t know this movie, then you’re too young, or live under a rock. No matter how old I get, I will continue to watch this movie every fall season. This, in my opinion, is a great Peanuts movie. Linus waiting for The Great Pumpkin to show up, would also probably have been me at that age. This movie has the lovable Peanuts characters and is just cute overall.

6. Horror movies, among others

I’m not a fan of haunted houses or horror movies, but I do love watching Hocus Pocus, Halloweentown, and The Nightmare Before Christmas. I love The Nightmare Before Christmas because you can watch it from October to December and no one will judge you. And recently, I found a stray cat about a week ago and decided to name him Binx, after the black cat in Hocus Pocus. You should really watch them if you haven’t.

7. Hot Chocolate (and other hot drinks)

I’m not a big fan of hot coffee (I love iced coffee) either, but I will never pass up hot chocolate on a chilly, fall day. Apple cider is good as well, and tea. But normally, I only drink tea when I’m feeling sick. If you like hot coffee, definitely get yourself a Pumpkin Spice Latte then, you deserve it.

8. The weather

Yes, I know we live in Ohio and yes I know the weather is bipolar here. But I’ve lived here for about 21 years so I’m used to it. I have had the chance to experience the perfect fall weather though. In my opinion, perfect fall weather lies somewhere around the high 60s But everyone thinks differently. Plus, when the weather is still nice, I like to take my dog to the dog park.

9. Fall fashion

I was once told that my cute and casual dress style was always best displayed around fall season. The person who told me that meant I try harder in the fall when it came to my sense of style. I love fall fashion because it means sweater weather (oversized sweaters), scarves (the best accessory), boots/booties, and flannels. My go-to fall outfit of course is a sweater, leggings and boots.

P.S. This outfit is cute, and I’d wanna wear it

10. Blankets! Blankets! Blankets!

Okay, everyone who knows me knows I love (fuzzy) blankets and own way too many. And when the cold weather comes, you can probably find me wrapped up in a blanket somewhere like my bed or the couch.

11. Candles

Fall weather is when people start bringing out the scented candles. I tend to stock up on candles during sales at the mall (or wherever you shop for them). I especially love the White Barn 3-wick scented candles from Bath & Body Works because they’re big and tend to last a while. 

12. Weddings

Have you ever been to a fall wedding? I haven’t but I saw a video of my high school colorguard instructor’s wedding and she got married in November a year ago. The fall colors were amazing, the weather looked nice for her wedding and it was just breathtaking to me. Because I love fall so much, I plan to have my future wedding during this beautiful season.

P.S. This is not my colorguard instructor’s wedding in this gif

Leah Himes

Xavier '19

Leah Himes is a senior English major with psychology and writing minors. She is from Cincinnati, Ohio. When she is not working on HCXU stuff, she is hanging with friends, listening to music, working at Starbucks or eating mac n' cheese in her slippers on the couch.