Why I Got My Ears Pierced at 18

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Xavier chapter.

Earrings: a jewelry piece that every little girl dreams of wearing… except if you have a fear of needles, which is how I felt all throughout my childhood. I never had my ears pierced, and many of my childhood friends thought it was the craziest thing! They would look at me weird and wonder why I hadn’t just sucked it up and gotten over my fear of needles, but I just did not have the desire to feel a needle going through my ear. I was also a dancer for 13 years of my life, and, as a part of the costume, earrings had to be worn. Obviously, I had to wear something, so I wore clip-ons, even when the youngest girls on my dance team would be wearing real earrings. In a majority of the things I participated in, the fact that I did not have my ears pierced was brought up. It never really bothered me, it was just who I was as an individual.

The times changed, however, in May of 2015. I had just gone through a breakup with my first boyfriend, and I was feeling heartbroken. I knew that I could not feel this way forever, and I needed to do something that would make me feel stronger. Some girls believe in changing their hairstyle; I believed in getting over my fear of needles and piercing my ears. In July, two of my closest friends and I decided to get our ears pierced together! My fears of needles were definitely surfacing as I saw the gun that would put a hole in my ear, but I got it done. I faced my fear.

I look back on why I got my ears pierced, and, yes I know it was at a late age considering some children get theirs done before they can speak a word, but I am so glad that I got it done when I did. As an 18 year old getting ready to go off to college, I wanted to do something for me, not for anyone else. I wanted to make myself feel stronger, more confident, and more beautiful. Every single time that I look in the mirror, my eyes dart to my ears. I always feel so much more beautiful with my earrings, and, with them in, I walk with my head held a little higher.

At the beginning of my summer before freshman year of college, I was a mess. My spirit was at an all time low, and my confidence was shattered. Piercing my ears opened up a whole new door for me. I began to be more confident, not only in my appearance, but in my abilities as a human being. I now wake up smiling more, and I couldn’t be happier that I decided to get my ears pierced. Such a small accessory has turned me into a more confident person. Always remember: don’t let fears hold you back. It may take a long time to get over them, but once you do, they will only turn you into a more confident individual!

Katie Pfeifer is a sophomore Psychology major and Gender and Diversity Studies minor. She is from Springboro, Ohio, which is about 20 minutes south of Dayton. She love to shop, dance, hang out with her friends, and listen to music. She is obsessed with animals, watching youtube videos, and traveling! She has written for Her Campus Xavier and in the past, she worked on the marketing team! She always has a smile on her face, and she loves to make people happy! :)
Brittany is a senior accounting major from Saint Louis, Missouri and is a Campus Correspondent for Xavier University. When not organizing Her Campus Xavier, she can be found working with Tedx Xavier University or Xavier Women in Business. She  wishes she could spend all of her free time with puppies.