What I Learned By Shaving My Head: 6 Month Hair Update

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Xavier chapter.

I wrote an article at the beginning of the school year about what I learned by shaving my head, but not too long after that I began to grow my hair back out for work. Now, I’m rocking about six and a half months’ worth of hair. This is what it’s like to go from nothing to something in what feels like almost overnight.

Mullet or stylish?

With my hair growing out at the same length no matter where it is, it’s easy to get a look that suddenly resembles the popular business in the front and party in the back style. Everything in the front is a good size for bangs, but unfortunately that also means there’s enough to cover my neck for a more disproportionate look.

one month of growth

Bedhead has never been more real.

I woke up like this. No really. I don’t own a hairbrush anymore, I haven’t combed my hair since spring. What do you do with bed head? When hair is just growing it doesn’t sit down like you may want. Every strand sits straight until about three months into the process and then it curls no matter how you try to control it.

Awkward stage 1, stage 2, stage 3…

When it starts to grow and it’s really short, it can look like bald spots. When it starts to get a bit longer, it stays in the standing straight up stage. After that, the mullet style is coming in. Now it’s getting long but it’s still short and it’s sitting on your neck but you can’t do a pony tail. Too short to sit right with bobby pins, but long enough to still get swept by the wind. Six months in and it’s long enough to get styled, but then again if it gets cut it’ll be a very short pixie cut.

five and a half months of growth

Hunting for tricks to make it grow faster

If I’m going to grow my hair out, I’m going to go from one extreme to the other but I want it done as soon as possible. Well, even though that’s not entirely possible, it won’t stop me from looking up tricks online to make it grow faster. Doing inverted yoga poses, rubbing my hair full of oil, and the typical eating healthy, getting sleep, and working out were all presented as ideas.

six and a half months of growth

Amber Lauzé is a senior Entrepreneurial Studies and Management double major from Auburn, Maine. When not writing for HCXU, she can found at one of her many jobs, or hunting for her cat that likes to hide in blankets.
Brittany is a senior accounting major from Saint Louis, Missouri and is a Campus Correspondent for Xavier University. When not organizing Her Campus Xavier, she can be found working with Tedx Xavier University or Xavier Women in Business. She  wishes she could spend all of her free time with puppies.