Top 5 Things I Wish I Knew Before Getting My Tattoo

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Xavier chapter.

Getting a tattoo can be a life changing and fulfilling experience, but it can also be a negative one. When I got my first tattoo, I was so excited that I got it without much thought. Even though I had a positive experience, it could have easily gone a different way.  Here are five pieces of advice before you get your first tatoo.

1. More Research.

Before getting my tattoo I should have done more research on tattoo parlors. I should have made sure the place is safe, clean and had positive reviews. It is also important to research the tattoo artist since a tattoo will be on your body for the rest of your life; it is important to make sure you trust the person that is tattooing you.

2. Prices Vary.

Tattoo parlors might try to up the price on you if you are a “tattoo virgin”, so make sure you call ahead and get an estimation before you go in. Do not be afraid to negotiate.

3. Choose wisely

This piece of art will be on your body for the rest of your live so it is important to make sure that it is something you will still appreciate, even 30 years from now.

4. You might have to go back for a touch up

Unfortunately, sometimes tattoos fade. They will not look the same in your 50’s, so don’t be afraid to get a touch up.

5. Do not be afraid to ask questions.

Do not be afraid to ask for the tattoo artist’s license. Ask them what kind of work they’ve done before and how long they’ve worked at the parlor. Also ask if they sterilize the equipment.

Charese Foster is a senior Political Science major with a double minor in peace and justice studies and international studies from Toledo, Ohio. She is a contributor for Her Campus Xavier. When not writing for Her Campus, she spends her time with Model United Nations, reading her horoscope and watching Netflix.