timon studler BIk2ANMmNz4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
timon studler BIk2ANMmNz4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Things to do Around Cincinnati in the Winter

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Xavier chapter.

With the weather all cold and frightful, students feel stuck inside during the winter months.  You don’t feel like exploring downtown or near the river, having a picnic in Eden Park, or even bouncing around bars – it’s simply TOO COLD!  But, if you think a bit outside the box, Cincinnati is home to a plethora of wonderful things to do during these cold winter months.

Source

1. Cincinnati Museum Center at Union Terminal – Mark off an afternoon to go check this out with your besties or decide to make a day of it on the weekend.  You could even bring it up to that fine boy who sits behind you in history/economics/any subject really and ask him to join you and when he says it’s a cool idea, don’t be afraid to let this adventure become a date!  Union Terminal is separated into 3 museums that are always present – Duke Energy Children’s Museum, Museum of Natural History &Science, and Cincinnati History Museum – plus an additional exhibit that changes a few times throughout each year, currently ‘Vikings: Beyond the Legend.’  More information can be found at: http://www.cincymuseum.org/.

2. Cincinnati Art Museum (CAM) – Cincinnati’s very own art museum is an icon of the city.  It features an expanse of art – primarily separated by century or specific time period.  Make a Saturday of visiting this museum and then heading down the hill to skate on Eden Park’s pond (*we only suggest this if it’s the time of the year that it’s frozen over and they have this set up).  More information can be found at: http://www.cincinnatiartmuseum.org/.

3. Cincinnati Museum of Modern Art – If you enjoy Xavier’s Coffee Emporium, you could always find your way to their downtown location after walking through this museum for a lovely conversation about everything you saw and the feeling that the art gave you. More information can be found at: https://www.contemporaryartscenter.org/.

4. The Annual “Butterfly Show” at Cincinnati Parks Krohn Conservatory in Eden Park – This year the event will be held March 25th through June 18th, 2017.  The heated Conservatory is home to a myriad of various plants and animals, but is specifically fun during this event when they bring in butterflies from all over the world for you to admire as you walk through the oasis of beautiful flowers and creative train display.  More information can be found at: http://butterflyshow.com/.

5. Fountain Square’s tree and ice rink – Sure it’s cold, but there will be evenings that it’ll be bearable enough to find a time to check out Fountain Square’s tree and ice rink, find a park to sled at, or simply catch a movie.

6. Other ideas – Children’s Theatre of Cincinnati and Playhouse in the Park, shows and events going on at the Aronoff Center for the Arts, bowling, indoor mini-golf, or arcading at various venues such as GameWorks at Newport of the Levee.

Hope these fun ideas help you make the best of your winter in Cincinnati!  If you have other ideas, please share them in our comments and check back to see if we cover those later this semester!

Emily Webb is a Marketing student at Xavier University. She spent two years on her high school's online student newspaper MND PawPrints. Gaining recognition amongst peers quickly, Webb spent one year as Photo Manager and one year as Managing Editor. In her free time, she enjoys reading, writing, golfing, bowling, and doing service. She has recieved the Presidential Volunteer Service Award twice.
Kathryn Morgan is a Senior Marketing and Public Relations student from Cleveland, Ohio and is the Campus Correspondent for Xavier University. When not working with Her Campus she spends her time with AMA@X, Xavier Women in Business and finding any puppy close by. She loves macaroons, traveling and bad dad jokes.